Your Crystal Ball Prediction(s) - desired

1) Might anyone have their 2004, crystal ball turned on to predict if this car may also be brought out in other road names? 2) Besides the "Coach", do you anticipate Centralia Car Shops bringing out other cars within this run [i.e. baggage, RPO, etc.]?

*** I'd be most interested in a Union Pacific version - I don't model the PRR ***

3) Was this P85bR design exclusive to the PRR, or was it also used on other RR's such as the UP?

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan
1) Might anyone have their 2004, crystal ball turned on to predict if this car may also be brought out in other road names? 2) Besides the "Coach", do you anticipate Centralia Car Shops bringing out other cars within this run [i.e. baggage, RPO, etc.]? *** I'd be most interested in a Union Pacific version - I don't model the PRR *** 3) Was this P85bR design exclusive to the PRR, or was it also used on other RR's such as the UP?

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
Geezer

Geezer,

I marvel at your railroad knowledge, and your obvious enthusiasm for the railroad. It's always a treat to read your replies. They're great. Thanks for offer> >>> I believe Pullman heavyweights assigned to PRR and painted in

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Not trains, just cars mixed in with the home road cars. On the Santa Fe this would have primarily been the Chief. It regularly had 2 NYC grey cars and a red PR in the consist. Just dragging out one book I have found a picture of "The Chief" proper with a red car behind the FTs and another one behind the PAs. I am certain with research one could find them behind most any motive power that ever pulled the Chief.

The closest I've ever seen to a whole "train" of foreign passenger cars would be the Boy Scout Jamboree trains coming to Colorado from the East Coast.

No, the train would be behind home road power.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

Excellent. Thank You!

I have to get some of these wonderful books that are on my list which I created from NG recommendations/references. They're fairly expensive, unfortunately, which has been the reason for my delay: so much to buy - so little cash :-)

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Thanks for the compliment. It's not so much knowledge - I'll never author a RR book - but rather a fair collection of books and ability to find where I read something - tho with geezerhood, that's fading.

Two follow up questions: Who [the engine roadname] and what [the engine style] pulled these PRR, Tuscan colored, passenger trains once they crossed the country into ATSF and UP country? Was it still a PRR engine?

It would not have been a PRR locomotive. What it would have been is complicated as there were several transcontinental sleepers. According to "Night Trains", service to LA was provided by:

1) the NYC "20th Century Limited" and PRR "Broadway Limited" connecting with the ATSF "Chief" (which was discussed in your previous thread), 2) in the late 1940's, the NYC "Iroquois" (westbound) and "Fifth Avenue" (eastbound) and the PRR "Golden Arrow" (westbound) and "Manhattan Limited" (eastbound) connecting with the "Los Angeles Limited" and "Overland" then operated by C&NW (Chicago to Omaha) and UP 3) in the early 1950's, it was the NYC "Advance Como. Vanderbilt" and PRR "Pennsylvania Limited" connecting with the UP/C&NW "Los Angeles Limited" and on alternate days, with the "Golden State" operated by CRI&P (Chicago to Tucumcari) and SP.

Service to SF was by the NYC "Como. Vanderbilt" and later the "Lake Shore Limited", and the PRR "General" and later the "Pennsylvania Limited / Admiral" connecting with the "Exposition Flyer" (before 1949) or the "California Zephyr" (after 1949), and on alternate days, the "San Francisco Overland".

Motive power would have been that of the RR on which the train was operating. On the UP, depending on time and train, the power could have been E-2's, E-6's, E-8/9's, PA/PB's. or Erie-builts. Power on the ATSF was addressed in your earlier thread. I'm not as much a student of the other western roads to offer specifics on their motive power assignments. There is, of course, the always present exception to the foregoing. The original E-2's assigned to the first COLA and COSF trains sets, and the subsequent additional E-6's, were jointly owned by operating RR's. They carried only the train names on their flanks, and had the UP/C&NW (COLA) and UP/C&NW/SP (COSF) heralds on the nose. I believe P2K offered these paint jobs on their E's. The joint ownership ended in 1948 and the locos were divided amongst the joint operators.

BTW, the recent "Passenger Equip. of the PRR Vol 2: Sleepers" has photos of the tuscan-painted, PRR-lettered heavyweights "Francis Hopkinson" in San Diego in the early 1950's and the PRR "John Jay" in LA in June 1952. Both these were Pullman plan 3410A 12-1 cars, as was the "James Logan", the car whose name was used by Rivarossi on their PRR painted 12-1. GQ

Reply to
Geezer