N-Scale Decoder Installation Soldering Station

Hello! I'm looking for a good soldering station for installing decoders in my N-scale locos. I'm currently considering the Weller WLC-100; does anyone know if the soldering tip will be fine enough?

I guess I'm trying to really figure out what size tip would work best for installing the N-scale decoders?

Thanks much, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin C

I don't know which one your Weller is, but it sounds like the 100-watt pistol grip job. For electronics soldering, a fairly cheap pencil iron from Weller or Dremel (35-40 watts) is fine for that kind of work since you won't be using the iron for long periods at a time. If you want precise control of the iron's tip heat, then you may consider a professional unit that comes with a built-in heat sensor in the tip - probably costs quite a few bucks more. Online electronics suppliers (Mouser and Micro-Mark come to mind) can give you an idea of the pricing of those units.

Regards, Gordon.

Reply to
Gordon

Gordon, The weller i'm referring to actually has a control knob for the power. 5-40 watts is the range. I'm more interested in tip sizes. i.e. is 1mm a good size or too big for n-scale work.

Thanks for your response, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin C

If you are just soldering wires, I've found their small screwdriver head (or whatever the correct name is) to be very useful. There is a cone tip but, I haven't used it yet.

Good luck, Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

The WCL100 actually has tip temperature control and I love it. You can purchase finer tips. The tip that came with it is a standard and is good enough for most soldering. I purchased both a heavy chisel and a fine tip. The heavy tip can handle larger jobs because it holds more heat and can deliver more to the joint.

I got my tips from U-Do-It in Boston. You could try Halted in Sunnyvale and they have a web site.

The temperature control is very nice.

Best

Ken Harst> Hello!

Reply to
Ken Harstine

I usually use a 1/16" (1.5mm) tip for decoder installations but have used 1/32" (.75mm) as well. Depends on how small the points (pads) I am soldering to - example, on the pads on an LE077XF decoder, the smaller tip works better for me.

Ray Schwarz

"Kev> Gordon,

power. 5-40

Reply to