MINIATURE FIGURES: SCALE SELECTION

Hello,

I am trying to identify an appropriate size for small-scale figures to use in a diorama model. My intention is to construct a small-scale Star Trek: TNG diorama covering a large floor-space area (10 ft. by 5 ft.), and use an appropriate miniature scale for the figures. N and Z Scales already come with many standardized objects evolved in the model railroads industry, and so a large-area diorama would be well supported for finding people and other objects by choosing one of these scales, I would think.

Constructing a large-area diorama will necessitate the use of extremely miniature figures, with the resultant lack of detail. That's okay, as individuals need not be necessarily/readily identified. I'd use black-painted figures (wearing coveralls), and apply appropriate colors to the torso and head to mimic the Federation command structure without worrying if the figure's appearance is good enough to be identified with a specific series' character.

My research has led me to believe that in N Scale, half-inch figures will fit in nicely with 1:160 surroundings. For a Z Scale (1:220) diorama, three/eights-inch figures will apparently do.

Are these scale-height assumptions for figure sizes correct ? Would it be possible to order 100 unpainted figures sized and dressed as I've described above ? Is there a source for unpainted N Scale or Z Scale people wearing coveralls ? Most figures would have their arms down by their side, and others may be gesturing in front of them, an 80 by 20 split. Who would be a likely supplier ?

Any opinions ? Suggestions ?

Note: One piece of Internet guidance I'd read said it best: place the figure near a doorway. If the figure's height fits the doorway's height proportionately, then he's the right size for the diorama.

Reply to
Dan

[...]

Not up on small scales but Walthers should have what you need:

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

I worked on a couple of 9 foot-by-9 foot dioramas. One issue: it becomes very hard to reach the middle of the diorama once you've put down features toward the edges, so build from the center out.

--Chris Bucholtz

Reply to
Chris Bucholtz

Go to:

and look up the N scale figure section. You should be able to find plenty of things to fit your needs. You can order these from your local hobby shop or directly from Walthers. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper