MINIATURE FIGURES: SCALE SELECTION

Hello,
I am trying to identify an appropriate size for small-scale figures to
use
in a diorama model.
My intention is to construct a small-scale Star Trek: TNG diorama
covering a
large floor-space area (10 ft. by 5 ft.), and use an appropriate
miniature
scale for the figures.
N and Z Scales already come with many standardized objects evolved in
the
model railroads industry, and so a large-area diorama would be well
supported for finding people and other objects by choosing one of
these
scales, I would think.
Constructing a large-area diorama will necessitate the use of
extremely
miniature figures, with the resultant lack of detail. That's okay, as
individuals need not be necessarily/readily identified. I'd use
black-painted figures (wearing coveralls), and apply appropriate
colors to
the torso and head to mimic the Federation command structure without
worrying if the figure's appearance is good enough to be identified
with a
specific series' character.
My research has led me to believe that in N Scale, half-inch figures
will
fit in nicely with 1:160 surroundings.
For a Z Scale (1:220) diorama, three/eights-inch figures will
apparently do.
Are these scale-height assumptions for figure sizes correct ?
Would it be possible to order 100 unpainted figures sized and dressed
as
I've described above ? Is there a source for unpainted N Scale or Z
Scale
people wearing coveralls ? Most figures would have their arms down by
their
side, and others may be gesturing in front of them, an 80 by 20 split.
Who would be a likely supplier ?
Any opinions ? Suggestions ?
Note:
One piece of Internet guidance I'd read said it best: place the
figure near
a doorway. If the figure's height fits the doorway's height
proportionately, then he's the right size for the diorama.
Reply to
Dan
[...]
Not up on small scales but Walthers should have what you need:

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH
Reply to
Charles Ryan
I worked on a couple of 9 foot-by-9 foot dioramas. One issue: it becomes very hard to reach the middle of the diorama once you've put down features toward the edges, so build from the center out.
--Chris Bucholtz
Reply to
Chris Bucholtz
Go to:

and look up the N scale figure section. You should be able to find plenty of things to fit your needs. You can order these from your local hobby shop or directly from Walthers. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
Reply to
Keeper