Making Polar Express themed N scale layout

Hi all. I'm making a Polar Express themed N scale layout. This is being done a bit here and there kind of fashion with the intent of having it finished up in time for Christmas. The loco and tender has already been purchased. It's a unmarked Life Like Heritage Berkshire 2-8-4 with tender.

The main problem I'm having at the moment is the passenger cars. As I'm getting back to model railroading after about a 15 yr hiatus, I have no clue what manufacturer/brand best personifies the cars in the movie.

The set I'm looking for 'should' have: 2 coach cars 1 observation car 1 diner car and 1 baggage car

The reason I say 'should' is because that I understand I may need to be flexible as far as what's currently available.

Paint, numbers and names aren't a big concern as they will probably get painted anyways. But if I can find an unmarked set, so much the better.

TIA!

Mark

Reply to
bluecobra

I had to go look at the movie again to see the exact style of passenger cars they used.

The ones that immediately came to mind are the old Bachmann heavyweight passenger cars. However, they do not seem to in production any more and the only way to get them may be through a dealer or hobbyist at a train show.

Model Power also makes heavyweight cars, including undecorated, and they are listed on the Walthers site. Below are a few:

coach

Those are the three that had pictures. many more are in the listing. Go to the advanced search and search for "N", "Passenger Cars" and "Model Power".

The undecorated MP cars are:

8615 Heavyweight Coach -- Undecorated - back order due 5 May 2006 8622 Heavyweight Combine -- Undecorated - available Heavyweight Observation Car -- Undecorated - back order due 17 Apr 2006

Retail price is US$15.98 each.

Kato also makes some heavyweight cars. The part numbers are 5001, 5002 and

5003. You probably have to order these from Japan. Rainbow Ten has them available:

Click on "Today's Stock List" then on "N/HO gauge".

Here are some pictures:

I think the scratchiness of the photos is due to the plastic box. Kato's passengers cars are very sharp looking.

Despite my preference for Kato, I think the Model Power cars best fit the description of your project.

Reply to
Ken Rice

------------------------------------------------------------- An excellent project! I gave thought to doing the same. Heavyweight passenger cars are/were made by Rivarossi, Con-Cor, and Model Power. If I were doing the Polar Express. I'd consider the Model Power undecorated cars (combine, coach, observation). These can be found at well discounted prices. Rivareossi and Con-Cor offer the consist you mentioned. Here are some mail order retailers:

World of Trains (Model Power):

Trainworld (Rivarossi):
Brooklyn Locomotive Works (Con-Cor):
Good luck with your project!

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

The ConCor/Rivareossi cars are an excellent suggestion. I overlooked them when I posted my reply, and I even have a set of them.

Reply to
Ken Rice

Ken Rice replied: The ones that immediately came to mind are the old Bachmann heavyweight

passenger cars. However, they do not seem to in production any more and the only way to get them may be through a dealer or hobbyist at a train show. ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Trainworld has the Bachmann heavyweights in their closeouts for $3.99 each. They are 65' lighted cars:

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

Wow! Thanks you two. (Bill & Ken)

I don't think I've could've received such helpful info if I had paid for it.

So I've gone and ordered up the Model Power cars from Walthers.

1 observation, 1 combine and 3 coaches (one for painting experimentation )

Then I was thinking.... how do I get Polar Express decals?

I found a site where you can print blank ones up on an ink jet printer:

I've never tried these before. Has anyone had good results with these? If I had a laser or dye-sub printer I wouldn't think twice about getting this, but having an inkjet and the potential for smeared inks makes me question the durability of doing it this way.

OK, I think that's it for now.

Mark

Reply to
bluecobra