Truck Flatbed

I am thinking of making a flatbed for my truck. Does anyone have any advice to offer before I start?

Reply to
Pat

How big of a truck? How big of a flatbed?

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Isuzu 12,000 GVW 7 foot wide, 10 foot long flatbed with tapered headboard, stake pockets and receiver hitch. Wood deck.

Reply to
Pat

I converted my Toyota 1-ton pickup to a flatbed 2 years ago. What I did was look at every other flatbed I could find to get ideas.

One important bit I did on mine was to use 3/8" x 2" flat bar for the tie down rail. Every truck I saw with 1/4" steel there was all bent up.

I also have a removable arch at the back, and a permanent rack over the cab. I have a removable ladder frame that connects the 2.

I made a small jib crane that plugs into one of the arch sockets.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:42:54 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ernie Leimkuhler quickly quoth:

I've been lamenting the limitations of a pickup bed for a few years now. Do you have any pics of your creation, I hope, Ernie?

---=====--- After all else fails, read the instructions. ---=====---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I would try to find a used bed I could refurbish. What you are looking for would require a LOT of fabrication. And, of course, the problem with a home-built truck bed is that you tend to over-build and the bed is unduly heavy. And every pound of weight in the bed is a pound of useful load you can't carry...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Hi Pat

I once made a flat bed to replace the worn out motor home on a Ford van chassis. I made a frame using square tube about 2 inch square. The frame was a little less than 8 feet wide and over 10 feet long. I made the frame, then attached it to the "van". The frame was fairly complicated and maybe too heavy, but I made cross tubes and length tubes so it had a "checkerboard" look when finished, on the ground. That made the "stake bed" very strong and can be covered with anything. He used aluminum.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

You might want to talk to flat bed truck drivers (semi trucks). They load and unload these all day long and they probably have a lot of opinions.

Some things I would consider.

A headache rack. This is a front of the bed that would prevent some heavy thing from hitting the cab in the event something came loose during a panic stop.

Under bed tool boxes. These can hold all of your rope, straps, and chains, plus other stuff.

Beefing up your suspension.

A bigger set of mirrors.

Consider bed height. If you are going to be using loading docks, you want the bed to be at dock height, but if you don't need that lower is better. You might even consider going to low profile tires and dropping the deck as low as you can to the frame. A whole lot easier to load and unload.

If you opt for the low bed design you might want to make some provisions for a fake bed that is at fender height in the event you want to carry large sheet goods.

Look at the semi flat beds. Some of them have fixed strap winches, and some of them allow you to slide the winches on a rail to strap the load where ever you want. These allow you to use the cheap straps and really bind down on the load, otherwise you need the ratchet straps and those finger pinchers can be a pain to get tight enough.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The cab tilts so I can't build over it. I like the thought of a removable arch in back to haul long stuff.

Reply to
Pat

My trailer is made with angle iron which is light. However it isn't very strong when I am using a chain binder. I am thinking 5 inch channel outside and 3 inch channel across on two foot centers. Strong and heavy. Not sure what to use for stake pockets. I was planning on winches however I also like Ernie's tie bar suggestion.

Reply to
Pat

Make it a roll off bed truck - real handy

Reply to
Epictitus

I know of an already-made flatbed sitting in Texas. Looks new, ought to fit an Isuzu COE. All metal deck. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see if it's for sale and what the asking price is. But you'd have to come get it yourself.

Reply to
B.B.

Located in Oregon.

Reply to
Pat

Yes and?

ROAD TRIP!!

Stop off here in California and Ill load stuff on your new flatbed.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:19:47 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

When can I start placing orders for delivery? I'm no doubt on his way up I-5. ;)

- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here is a company that manufacture beds.

All I can add is don't make it too tall. A headache is a necessity. I like storage built into the bed with plenty of toolboxes. I don't know what thickness of metal is adequate I have heard that 1/4 is too thick, makes the bed to heavy. You will need a good rancher type grill guard for the front, just push anything out of the way. Mine is a little heavy but I need it.

Scott

Reply to
jano

And bring (several) pet carriers! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Find out what the gross weight is..and Ill not go over it in cats.

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:26:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

What? That would limit your "sale" to less than 1/4 of your herd!

--LJ, who still can't believe the pussy farm in Taft. ;)

- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just how do you go about herding cats?