Gradients

I am planning a 2mm layout in a particularly small space [to me] of 18" by

3 foot, It will be a single line branch terminus with some local passenger services. What I need to know is the maximum gradient on a tight curve that I can get the majority of current trains up, assuming three/four coaches or equivalent length good trains.

{R}

Reply to
{R}

Recommended minimum radius for 2mm is 2ft for branch lines (ie 4ft diameter). Some people get away with a tad less. You might get a train up

1:45 on 2ft radius.

Or are you doing N gauge which is a whole different kettle of fish ?

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

}{R} wrote: }> I am planning a 2mm layout in a particularly small space [to me] of }> 18" by 3 foot, It will be a single line branch terminus with some }> local passenger services. What I need to know is the maximum gradient }> on a tight curve that I can get the majority of current trains up, }> assuming three/four coaches or equivalent length good trains. } }Recommended minimum radius for 2mm is 2ft for branch lines (ie 4ft }diameter). Some people get away with a tad less. You might get a train up }1:45 on 2ft radius. } }Or are you doing N gauge which is a whole different kettle of fish !

It is :) well what can I do in N gauge then :)

{R}

Reply to
{R}

"{R}" wrote

Stick to the same suggestions as for 2mm scale.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There was such a sized layout at Burton exhibition recently - perhaps 3'*4'. Amazing, IIRC something like 6-9" height difference.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I wouldn't try tighter than 1ft6in radius for any significant gradient, and even that may be too tight to get things to climb. But you'd be better taking advice from N gauge modellers who have actually built a spiral or other tight climbing curves.

If you are using Fleischmann rack track and locos, its 12in radius and

1-in-3 gradients :-) I must get mine out of its box and set it up again !
Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Our club built a 30" x 56" demo layout with 9-3/4" radius sectional track and approximately 3% (1 in 33) gradients, partly on curves and partly on straights. The 4-6-2 steamer hauled up to 6 cars, and the diesels up to 8 cars up the hills.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf K.