Ground mounted Signals

Not of my own as it's currently out-of-print. My local library has one. Second hand examples can be found quite easily using Google search. According to Amazon the ISBN is 0906579724. The 'authors' are Peter Truman and David Hunt although most of the book is made up of pictures.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The Southern railway started large scale use of colour light signals fro m the early 1920's in combination with electrification. On the South Eastern first where they introduced 4 aspects to allow steam and electric trains to be better regulated. A little out of your era was the first mainline to be resignalled throughout, 1933, London to Brighton. At the time this used a combination of full lever frames down to miniature types used at Brighton. York on the Eastern region was the first use of route setting, known as one button route setting, later superseeded with entrance exit, or NX route setting the standard now. Latest schemes use automatic route setting using data from timetables, train describers and rules to determine priority of different trains.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The Great Central had them out of Marlyebone and I think the South Eastern had them briefly before they were replace with multiple aspect signals when the lines were electrified.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

They were used in the UK but not very widely or for long.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

this is turning out to be a science/research fellowship in itself! I am finding it fascinating to explore all the different issues surrounding the signalling.

Thanks heaps for the info ...... I will be looking into this further and working through what to do, over time

:)

Thanks again

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

heh so absolutely left - all the time - unless my wife is driving

Reply to
mindesign

yes! Drawings are the order of the day - as well as pics! They will help me get the correct proportions.....will be taking up the sound advice offered here too on buying some kits and then adjusting/copying them to suit

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

legendary, thanks Kim!

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Just checked Two Centuries Of Railway Signalling (Geoofrey Kichenside and Alan Williams OPC ISBN 0 86093 541 8) which mentions 3 position semaphores being installed on Great Central in 1917 and the South Eastern and Chatham Railway 1919 between Grovesnor Road and Victoria South Eastern side and also three postition shunting signals. With a small scheme on the Great Western linking the West London line to the Great Western main line. Also about this time the London and South Western introduced position light shunt signals at Waterloo.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

In re the GNR 'somersault' lower quad. signals, they were also known as 'French's pattern' after their inventor. The signalling contractors McKenzie & Holland took up the design. McK & H had a branch factory out here in Melbourne, so the Victorian Railways used 'somersaults', some of which still are in use on country lines. I think that Western Australia also used them. As the main feature of the design was to prevent snow buildup on the arm in the 'off' position, this feature would not have been needed in W.A., and only on odd occasions in Victoria. Here,usually, the arm was only pulled 'off' to about a 45 degree declension, I don't think that I've ever seen a local 'somersault' pulled off to the full 90 degree declension. Some one here does make working models of V.R. somersaults in HO, all honour to him! Regards, Bill.

"Keith Norgrove" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
William Pearce

In message , William Pearce writes

The GNR was not the only British company to use somersault signals. Several of the Welsh companies used them, and they were not replaced by the GWR unless it was absolutely necessary. Some somersault signals in South Wales lasted until the line was closed in the 1950s and 1960s.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Reply to
William Pearce