Heljan 47s & Hymeks

The latest batch of Heljan 47s arrived in stock today, they are:-

4800 - 47591 BR large logo blue 4801 - 47636 BR large logo blue 4802 - 47211 BR Railfreight grey

For those with back-orders, all have been despatched today along with the entire Hymek delivery. Now I'm going for a rest!!!

Best wishes, John Turner,

53A Models, Hull, UK.

Shop website:

John Turner

Just out of interest unbiased opinions please, is Heljan as good as some people suggest ... not that I'm particularly interested in diesels per se but a Hymek may be nice to run alongside my Warship and Western.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Chris Wilson" > wrote

There's no way on earth I could justify a Hymek on my Yorkshire-based layout with its North Eastern & Midland Region stock, but for some reason a green Hymek has appeared. I just couldn't resist such a nice model.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I picked up my first Heljan loco today, a green Hymek. Running wise, very smooth although a little hesitant on starting, but this is straight out of the box, no "running in." Loads of pulling capability. I dont know what these locos operated on in "real" life, but I would imagine a

12 coach train would prove no problem for this model. Running in tonight I stuck 18 Backmann 14ton tankers + brake behind and I dont think the motor knew they were there! Very quick turn of speed, nice flywheel drive. Detail on the body looks very good, it just looks right (I am not a rivet counter). Easily as good as Bachmann, apart from being £66 compared to Bachmann Warships, class 25 etc usually around £35 - 45
Reply to
piemanlarger

Many thanks for the info so far on the Hymek - also, like John T I want a credible reason to have one on a Northern layout. The Beyer-Peacock trial-running will do for me! Any remarks re. the handrail wire? I have a couple of 47s and the handrails seem much too thick. I have noticed on both John T's and Hattons photos that on one end of the Hymek the 'thinner' handrails below the cab windows are bent somewhat downwards. This only seems to be at one end of the loco - how is yours? Or anybody else's?

Best regards

Andy

Reply to
Andy Stephenson

"Brian Williams"

In August 1968, I had my last cab ride in a UK locomotive. A Hymek from somewhere on the Western Region, Didcott perhaps, to Eastleigh. I was fairly late at night and I now forget where I changed trains but I was on my way back from Buckfastleigh.

The cab ride was just terrific, as good as in the train and so quiet when compared to North American diesels. I could chat with the driver and secondman without raising my voice, so unlike North American diesels where the cab noise, at least until the recent models, made ordinary conversation almost impossible. Loco crews are still issued with ear plugs on many North American railways.

The driver and second man were both ex steam drivers, the second man having had to take a demotion due to lack of driving jobs with the phasing out of Western steam three years beforehand.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

mind, perhaps JT will have some more in time for my birthday.

I baught mine from Holt MR as John was sold out. Just out of interest John, is this because you did not order enough or were not supplied all your requested locos? Holts were not impressed by the fact that they did not recieve any green+ yellow warning panel versions (considering others have recieved them) which is what I was going for, but I am glad I picked up the all greem one know.

Reply to
piemanlarger

I am not a rivet counter and to be honest I dont really care what thickness they are sorry, even if I did I dont have a micrometer to measure them! It looked good to me so I baught it. I think the important "Test" factor was that all who examined the loco last night in our club

said it looked superb, so I guess its ok as most of them are old ennough to remember seeing hymeks work around Cardiff.

Reply to
piemanlarger

"piemanlarger" wrote

I just totally underestimated the market for these, but we were supplied with our full order by Heljan.

John.

Reply to
John Turner