Help required in designing traverser please

I'm still toying with ideas for my garage layout, one idea I'm playing around with is having a fiddle yard under my proposed "Country terminus", because of clearance problems the only way I can see this working is by building it as some form of traverser. But I still have problems supporting the traverser in use see

the worst drawing ever. To put the drawing into context there would be another board around 6" above it. Hence I have to pull the traverser outwards and this is where I envision problems supporting it.

Any ideas please?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

How about bog standard drawer runners? You can 550mm ones from Screwfix :

I would envisage building the traverser like an upside down drawer so that you have somewhere to mount the hinges and maybe have a fold down leg or support that you can prop underneath the traverser when it's fully extended for a little more support.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, mutley blithered:

You could try filing cabinet runners, they come out further and are more robust than regular draw runners. Mind you they might be missed at work!

Reply to
GbH

Cheers Pete,

I thought of using those as a guide however ...

The family's push bikes will be stored underneath it ... hence the height above the floor and also the problems associated with having enough clearance for folding legs. So as you correctly guessed my big problem is providing support. I could have a "mandraulic" prop which just wedged underneath it when fully open but I really wouldn't want to rely on that sort of technology.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Nice ...

As it happens, besides my more usual job at work I'm in charge of the stores ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Chris Wilson blithered:

Ah I can see a stores compatible design coming on here!

Reply to
GbH

In article , Chris Wilson wrote: (snipped)

Phil: Then why not use the elastic straps from one of the bikes as an additional means of support - but going upwards to the garage roof / wall?

Actually you will find that the 'office' type twinrail runners advocated by another correspondant have very little sag, and are available for example loads of 40-50kg per pair (designed to support HEAVY VTRs at FULL exptension in broadcast equipment racks) - ask if anyone is throwing out an old DVR18 ! 8-) !

Reply to
Phil

No straps, besides I'm not sure that I'd be to keen on building a fiddle yard on what would amount to a trampoline ... although it would give a new dimension to the term "backjumper" :-) Intriguing idea all the same though.

If I can get hold of some I may well try a set out didn't appreciate that they would be so strong. Meanwhile (if anyone's interested) I'm going to try to build a mock up over the weekend using tongue and groove floorboards ...

3/4" hardwood ... nice

Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Another thought.

Make the baseboard above the traverser a smaller width than it. Then run the tracks on the upper board towards the back, and the tracks on the traverser towards the front. That way you won't need to pull it out the whole two foot to access all the tracks.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

It's a thought, if I took 6" "of the top" so to speak chances are I coud get away with a travel of only 18" or perhaps even less.

Reply to
Chris Wilson