Hornby 2013 range.

An E Mail from my nephew has alerted to me to the release of what Hornby intend to release in their 2013 range,I think he is already making up a wish list for Christmas 2013.

Any comments on what they intend to produce? I can see the Sentinel Deisel shunter being popular as a small industrial that can slot in a lot of places in a private siding etc. The 2 Bil may appeal to some but in my opinion less than a few years back as people who remember them in service age. Good companion for the Brighton Belle though.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Amongst the many items shown on the Hornby website for introduction during

2013 I believe the most eye-catching and interesting to be an LNER P2 ("Cock O'The North") in original condition and BR Class 8P No 71000 "Duke of Gloucester".

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

Yes I noticed them on the quick glance I have done through their website. More evidence that some manufactures are confident that there are enough potential purchasers of relatively uncommon prototypes to make it worthwhile and not do it on a preorder basis. The 8P does have the rare benefit for a steam loco that it is easier to justify its presence on many modern era layouts than ones set around the time it was first introduced. Hopefully Hornby will cover their costs,I know they have their detractors especially amongst retailers but it would leave a big hole in suppliers if they disappeared.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I rode the Brighton Belle once, well, there and back actually, in 1961 when it was still in umber and cream. The only other time I rode Pullman class was on the Yorkshire Pullman between Wakefield and London in 1962.

I did ride a Class 86-hauled Pullman from Picadilly to Euston, but travelled second class in regular MkII coaches.

Reply to
MartinS

They've finally woken up to the reality that chinese manufacturing is unsustainable,at least as a basis for ultra fine detail.

More moulded and printed detail and cheaper 3-pole motors will be the order of the day for many new models.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Would you please explain the reasoning behind your above statement?

DC

Reply to
DC

May I stir things up by suggesting he likes to rant against Hornby ?

Happy Christmas to all and sundry.

Simon

Reply to
simon

Maybe he is hinting at wage inflation in China starting to close the gap between manufacturing costs there and in the UK. And the only way to stop prices rising is to make things more cheaply.

Reply to
Chris

Not just a hint, nor a rant.

It's Hornby's stated policy that they are now downgrading the detail of new models in order to keep costs down.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Saw that in a magazine after I posted.