Hornby Duchess Class

Hi,

I have Hornby City Of Glasgow Duchess Class, which when run in reverse eveen very short distances seems to get stuck. I am assuming that the connecting rods are jamming slightly although I cannot find an sign of this nor replicate it off the track. Also the front bogie jumps the track every now and then, It seems very light. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Place the loco' in a position where you can see the linkage on BOTH sides ..... run the loco' as slowly as possible until it just stops. Don't move the loco'. Look carefully at the linkage (connecting-rods...con-rods) and you will find the fault....assuming the linkage to be causing the problem.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

built to finer tolerances.Where as older locos which which had more course tolerances would put up with track imperfections. Ensure that at least the minimum radius is maintained (the wider the better). Check that both rails are level on straights. Tracksettas certainly help to ensure that your track is in gauge. Once you have eliminated the track faults then look at the loco.

Reply to
titans

Thanks for advice, makes me look kinda stupid really, but thought i was better of asking rather than buggering about with it myself. One of the con-rods was infact very very slightly bent and as catching on the wheel.

Reply to
Jon

Not silly ..... if in doubt, ask....it's safer. The sudden stopping of Hornby steam models is quite often connected with the linkage and has been for a long time.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

Re bogie derailing: I find a little careful adjustment of wheel back-to- back often helps, especially when running older locos on newer track.

Reply to
MartinS

Adjustment Back to Back??? Sorry I dont understand what you mean.

Reply to
Jon

Sorry, I would have said gauge or spacing, but I thought back-to-back was more specific. If the bogie derails on points, check if the wheels are fouling a check rail or frog. Gently widen the wheels with a thin screwdriver, or squeeze them closer with your fingers, as required. Adjustment to the drivers may also be needed; it's trial and error.

Reply to
MartinS