Hornby Flying Scotsman Trailing Bogie Stuck?

I've just acquired a new Hornby Flying Scotsman (one of the modern super-detailed ones). I have a problem in that the trailing bogie (under the cab) seems to be wedged into the chassis. On the track it is suspended slightly above the track and has no movement up/down nor side to side, so it looks to be jammed on something. I have tried to lightly pull it away, but I really don't want to break it. There are at least 4 screws on the bogie, so I wonder if one of them secures the bogie in transit and needs loosening/removing. Unfortunately, the loco was in a set and doesn't have any instruction sheet so I have no idea as to what these screws are for and/or how to dismantle the loco. Can anyone give me some help please?????

Reply to
Middleagedcrisis

You've just come up against Hornby's current vogue for using a fixed pony truck so they can put more detail around that area. It's like that on purpose, and the same arrangement is used on the A4, the Brittania, and the forthcoming Rebuilt West Country/Battle of Britain classes.

While it is kinda workable on the A1s/A3s and A4s, I have to say IMHO it looks ridiculous on the Brittania, and almost ridiculous on the WC/BoB. I decided to buy one of the 'Plymouth' WCs, and it looks like it's possible to adapt Hornby's arrangement to give at least some movement back to the truck, however, it looks nigh on impossible on any of the others as far as I can tell.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Thanks Ian, It's a good job I didn't try any harder to force it then isn't it! I'm definitely not impressed if Hornby think this is a good idea.

Reply to
Middleagedcrisis

You didn't actually try to run it round a layout, did you? You have probably invalidated the warranty or something. These new steam-outline models from Hornby are designed to be kept in display cabinets. You can run them up and down a piece of straight track if you want, just to prove that they are actually working models.

Let us hope that once Hornby have tested the collector market to destruction, that they go back to producing things for those of us who would like to see trains actually running, which most definitely includes watching the wheels following the track, or what is the point, I ask!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"Middleagedcrisis" wrote

Is this one of the loco or tender drive models? Only the very latest *loco drive* examples should have a designer non-moving rear Cartazzi truck. If it's tender drive (and that applies to MOST of the train set 'Scotsman' locos) then the rear truck should swing from side to side. It's not unusual for these to turn up with the rear truck wedged into the underside of the cab.

If you're sure it's a tender drive loco (it will have rubber tyres on some of the tender wheels) then give the rear truck a sharp downwards tug and it should come free. If it doesn't then prise it gently with a screwdriver.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hear hear!