Hornby Points

Are they really that bad? I bought a hornby Flying Scotsman (about £50 version) and I can't send it backwards over points at any great speed (even if the points are straight). The train will derail or cause the points to open and send current down a siding with a stationary train on it. I also find that on the same point on my track the Scotsman will short the track over that point. I think it's because of the set of wheels near the rear of the loco that don't "hug" the track (They don't have rims) - they move around too much.

Is Peco the way to go with points?

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

Yes they are but the tender drive A3 is also That Bad. Mine is now retired to static in the shed. There are several problems, most especially the tendency of the tender to crab under power. That, combined with the wheels and points being designed to interoperate with Tri-Ang, makes derailments very common.

IMO yes but it won't fix the problem entirely. I have bought an HO wheel spacing gauge and adjusted the back-to-back every axle on the layout, plus added a .010" shim to each check rail, and that has resulted in dramatic improvements in reliability of working over points. I think I had tried most things before that, especially adding weight, but that was what made the real difference. It is a long and tedious job (I have over 100 sets of points on my layout and something close to 200 axles). Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You don't have a photo of that you can share do you?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Yes they are bad but more a case of they wear quickly or sloppy closing rather than inacurate from start. Peco much better. But much more likely is the back to back, get yourself a guage as Guy says (HO and OO are the same for track). As a temporary measure get a wagon that goes through points ok (both forward and back), use that as a guide. Also check the traction tyres are still in place on the tender, some do seem to get thrown rather easily. With all due respect to Guy, must mention that few people need shims on Peco points.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

On 19/06/2010 16:54, simon wrote: [...]

Needed with "universal" turnouts, whose check gauge is way off for NMRA wheels sets. That's because universal turnouts are designed to pass those over-thick Hornby flanges.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

I had a similar problem with a new 'City of Nottingham'. Solved the problem by removing the pickups from the tender after much fiddling around which improved the prblem but not by much. Never found having less pickups to be a problem.

Reply to
Fred Bear

"Craig Coope" wrote

Why would you want to? Reversing an express loco would usually only be done at relatively slow speeds. Why would you expect a model to cope with something that the real thing wouldn't be expected to cope with?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I don't want to but on some of the points the loco will switch the points no matter what speed I run it through.

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope