Hornby OO Networker problems

Hi

I have bought a Hornby Class 466 Networker EMU from ebay. The model arrived, and appeared in good nick, but not perfect.

Well the unit has only one axle which is motorised, and it wheel spins like crazy when the motor unit is run on its own, but it does go. When it is attached to the rest of the train, it just sits still, wheels spinning and going nowhere.

Any ideas of how to get more traction. The powered axle does have traction tyres. These do appear to be in good contact with the wheel, so the slippage appears to be between tyre and rail.

Many thanks

Ed

Reply to
Ed Sharp

"Ed Sharp" wrote

Try removing the traction tyres and cleaning them with 'Plasticweld' or cigarette lighter fuel to ensure they're grease free and that the grooves they sit in are grease free too. Replace the tyres and power up the motor, roughen the tyres with a clean fibre glass brush and then test on the track.

If you've still no traction then it's possible that the tyres have gone hard and are not gripping the rail - clearly these should be replaced.

Early Networkers had a design fault, in that the coupling between coaches was positioned too low and could catch on pointwork causing loss of traction, but this is unlikely to be the cause of your problem, but is something to be aware of.

Got to say that the drive on these units was pretty crap - one of Hornby's worst ever efforts, and one really done on the cheap.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In my efforts to convert these to the 4 car version, I have found an extraodiary amount of drag on the axles of the trailing bogies. They definately need lubrication but only a little. However, it may be wise to dismantle them and check that these is not any congealed much where grease (not oil) should be.

Be very gentle on dismantling them as the bogie plastic can be very brittle.

I have three of these and none of them have displayed the symptoms yours has.

Reply to
David Smith

I've been wondering about lubricating some axle boxes. So what sort of grease do you use and why not oil?

Steve

-- Dr Steven Noble Admissions Tutor Department of Mathematical Sciences Brunel University UK

Reply to
Steve Noble

"Steve Noble" wrote

I'd suggest graphite grease, 'Grease-em' made by Kadee is ideal, or make your own by filing the lead from a pencil.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hi. Firstly they haven't got any 'axel boxes' as such and I thing this is the problem. The axels run in the almost solid centre block of each bogie. If you use oil it can be 'sun' off. Grease has a much better chance of staying in place.

Dave

Reply to
David Smith

John and others.

Thanks for your help.

I have cleaned up the tyres, they are secure in the wheels and do not slide. The problem is between tyre and rail. I have "roughed up" the tyre, and it does have some traction.

The other problem was the amount of drag the rest of the train produced. After lubricating the axle, this was reduced. The train does run, but stalls at slow speeds. While it is not perfect, it is much better than before.

This is the first time I have posted on this newsgroups, and it is good to see such a mountain of information is out there, and the flame wars just don't happen.

Once again thanks to all out there.

Ed

"John Turner" wrote:

Reply to