hornby ark royal

Im trying to remove the crest of hornby ark royal because I want to rename and renumber her, any ideas on howto?? Thanks.

Reply to
ViP

VIP

I would suggest a craft blade tucked under the edges. I havn't done it, but guess it is glued on with molding pips or superglue type adhesive. If you can crack it off, should e ok.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept. offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

This certainly worked with the Hornby Battle of Britain class. The plate has pips which extend through a hole in the bodyside. The assembler then seemed to have dabbed a bit of mekpak or similar over the protruding pip. If you use a narrow chisel edged blade in your craft knife, you should be able to cut the moulded location pips without any damage to the body. If the assembler has used a lot of mekpak, some may have flowed under the plate itself, in which case there will also be some damage to the surface of the body, albeit hidden by the plate. This was the case in two of the four panels on Tangmere. However, I found that some gentle work with a fibreglass pencil got rid of the dried glue with minimal damage to the rest of the finish. Once smooth, a small patch of Modelmaster decal and a coat of semi-flat varnish restored the finish. Any other slight imperfections were then hidden under modest weathering.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"ViP" wrote

Has anyone on here noted that the latest batch of Class 50s from Hornby appear to be without traction tyres(round of applause - excellent news) and clearly show that even Hornby listen to sense and reason from the users (rather than collectors) of their products!

Not only that it's a very *clever* move on Hornby's behalf - the collectors will now have to buy another one of each to ensure they end up with whichever variant becomes the rarity! :-)

Nice one Simon!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Easy, Surely, the one without the traction wheels, no?

Reply to
GbH

"John Turner" wrote Has anyone on here noted that the latest batch of Class 50s from Hornby appear to be without traction tyres John.

Bistards... could have done with that... wonder i the exchange policy is covered on the wheels to as well as the PCB or the lighting?

All in all, Yes, It's good news John. Am impressed. If they are listening to us (finally) on some of these smaller finer points, what will they make of the Lima stock when they finally get their gruby little hands on it! Ohhh I can't wait! Real motors! Dare I say (coined from a well known mobile phone company) "The futures bright - the futures Hornby", until we need to change the lightbulb at the end o the tunnel !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

When did hornby start making model ships? do you get the matching U-boat?

Reply to
Gentle Ben

No, it's Bachmann who make the Deltics!!! ;o)

John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

" Has anyone on here noted that the latest batch of Class 50s from Hornby

Ill let you know when I get my 3rd hopefully tomorrow ;-)

The inside of the body is clean with no holes so the crest has been glued on, ill have a go with a craft blade, thanks.

Thanks for the advice, I want to know the best way of applying a light weathering, Im purchasing a spray gun soon and will play around with it on my old lima 50s.

boom boom!!

Reply to
ViP

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote

Despite comments on here to the contrary I'm still not convinced that much of the ex-Lima British range will reappear under the Hornby label.

In the past Hornby (and Bachmann for that matter) have said it's cheaper to retool completely rather than try to modify existing tooling. I'm not saying nothing will appear, but on the other hand there's very little (with one or two notable exceptions) that's worth the effort.

If Hornby have gone to the trouble with the class 50 to lift their reputation into the 21st century with diesel & electric modellers, why would they want to sully that credibility by replicating the rubbish which Lima produced all those years past?

Don't make sense to me! :-(

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They seem still happy to keep on replicating their own rubbish from the same era! Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

"Keith Norgrove" wrote

And get widely ridiculed for it too! :-/

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well, in the case of the few exceptions (59, 60, 73?) IMO the bodies aren't too bad. It's the chassis that need replacing...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

Lima's 60 has a good bodyshell - stick it onto a variation of the 50 chassis, give it lights, and you've got yourself a good loco.

--

***
*** Updating regularly throughout 2004 Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk) MSN Messenger: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

"Rich Mackin" wrote

I'd be tempted to say "reasonable" rather than good. Dimensionally it's not too bad, but detail wise it's very much of the standard you might have expected from Hornby in the seventies before Mainline and Airfix hit the streets.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Lima 67 is a very good model, central motor is excellent and it runs well, hornby will only have to sortout the body.

Reply to
ViP

"ViP" wrote

Bet you daren't post that on

Compared with the latest offerings from Bachmann and Hornby the Lima 67 chassis is absolutely the pits. If you've got a good one then fine, but most were not.

People have criticised Bachmann for printed on detail on their classes 37 and 55, but almost ALL the detail on the Lima 67 was produced that way and the chassis detail was virtually non-existant.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote

That's not Hornby's style - they want maximum profit on everything. They openly admit they are working close to capacity at present, and if they do acquire the tooling from the Rivarossi Group, then I would have thought that they would secure better options for making top dollar, and I use the dollar currency term with consideration.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I have 2 and both run very well.

Agree.

Reply to
ViP

What about the self-disassembling chassis?

--

***