Elizabethan Model Railway society

It is with a heartfelt disappointment that I bring the news from my local news paper that the Elizabethan Model Railway society suffered two fires at
the weekend to their 1969 built wooden clubhouse in Sutton in Ashfield, which has resulted in the building being gutted. I personally do not know the full extent of the damage, I hope to contact some members in the next few days to see how I can help, but it is thought that some if not all of the layouts (ranging from N gauge to O gauge) have been lost along with years of other work and a library of reference books.
This follows on after only one month before teenage vandals managed to destroy the St Johns building next-door in a similar manner.
The society however are determined to push ahead and continue with there exhibition in October, of which, I wish them the best of luck !
--
Andy Sollis
CVMRD Exhibition manager

Me too. It beggars belief sometimes... what a world.
Pete
--
OMS: Captain Warthog. Bits and Bobs.

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote

Arson was once regarded as an extremely serious crime, and indeed "Arson in HM Naval Dockyards" still cariied the death penalty in the UK until fairly recently. However, these days (at least in Hull) the police don't even bother turning out for such incidents so prevalent have they become.
Sickens me how mindless morons like these get their pleasure by destroying the fun of other people. I'd quite happily see many of them locked up and the key thrown away permanently.
John.
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:46:26 +0100, "John Turner"

In this culture even thinking that can get you locked up, a copper I used to know once remarked that the real danger was when the police were seen as having failed and vigilantes started 'dealing with the problem'. At the time I thought he had a point, these days I am not so sure.
Mike
I think you misunderstood what I was saying Mike. I meant that the perpetrators should be dealt with by the law and the key thrown away at the same time (by the law).

police were seen as having failed and vigilantes started 'dealing with the problem'. At the time I thought he had a point, these days I am not so sure.
Well I'm bloody certain the police are failing and whilst we've not got to the vigilante stage as yet, I can really see that situation happening.
"An Englishman's home is his castle" was once a well-known maxim, now it's a liability, a place where a burglar has more rights that the owner! It's certainly not somewhere which the police will help you protect.
John.
On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:26:04 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@notigg.not.no wrote:

Just ask your local paediatrician...
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

John Turner offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

And then their prison set alight. Harsh, maybe, but fair!
--
Enzo Draco

I wear the cheese, it does not wear me.
Arson was once regarded as an extremely serious crime, I'd quite happily see many of them locked up and the key thrown away permanently.
John.
Here here! And as you may know, these people are my customers (Actually in the past 5 years, both parties have been my customers!) It doesn't get any better - you just get cynical !
Andy