How Hornby could conquer the world

The A4 chassis is close enough in OO to emulate the Pennsylvania K4.... and thereby open a huge market for product....

Somebody tell that to the management before it's too late

David

Reply to
David Chorley

"David Chorley" wrote

I suspect they have chosen the A4 for the steam because the shape of the boiler casing gives plenty of room for the workings to be hidden. I doubt this would be the case with a K4 which has a conventional boiler.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Terry O'Brien" wrote

That's a bit presumptuous, give the A4 time to fall flat on its face before you start blowing any more of Hornby's profits! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In article , John Turner writes

The motor is just too big to fit in the boiler? Why not increase the scale of the body by 0.5 mm/ft? That should do it.

Reply to
Chris Brown

Yeah, we've seen the results from the last time someone did that! You end up with a real odd scale and nothing matches with other manufacturer's models! Then you get people changing the gauge so you end up with 5 different gauges for one odd scale .

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

G'day All, I hear that Hornby are almost sold out of the new steam locomotive. The orders are coming thick & fast. So I guess that we, in Australia, will not have any till next year.. Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Graeme Hearn

well there are examples of streamlined steam engines in the U.S. which could be co-opted and also german streamliners, so why not: I know Hornby is mostly inscrutably Chinese and it doesn't affect the balance of payments much, but could they use a little initiative...

David

Reply to
David Chorley

"Graeme Hearn" wrote

That doesn't make it a success. The initial batch may only be for two or three hundred items.

I'll certainly be ordering some, but the true worth of this project will be in the number of repeat orders in 12 months time.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

three hundred items.

G'day again, I believe that the initial batch is for 1500 units. These are only for the UK except for a few to Scalextric in the USA . The rest of the world will have to wait till next year. Darn. I want 2.

Reply to
Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Gregory Procter