IOM Locos

Can anyone provide me with a list of all 16 IOM locomotives and their fate at present? I've tried Google without success, I know Sutherland, Loch, Fenella, Douglas, Maitland, Kissack, and Caledonia are still with us, in various states, but what about the rest?

Reply to
James Christie

There is a book on the subject: The Manx Peacocks, by David Lloyd-Jones.

To summarise (and to invite corrections):

1: Sutherland Restored 2: Derby Dismantled 1951 3: Pender Sectioned in Manchester Museum 4: Loch Awaiting Restoration 5: Mona Stored 6: Peveril Stored 7: Tynwald Dismantled but extant 8: Fenella Under Restoration 9: Douglas Stored 10: G H Wood Restored 11: Maitland Restored 12: Hutchinson Restored 13: Kissack Stored 14: Thornhill Stored 15: Caledonia Restored 16: Mannin Stored

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

Pics of No. 3, Pender:

Chris Tolley

In message , Tim Illingworth may have written...

Thanks Tim, so they're all still with us in some shape or form. I take it they're still on the IOM with the exception of Pender?

Reply to
James Christie

There is a list at the bottom of the above web page that lists a total of 18 locomotives and their disposition or status.

Reply to
James Robinson

Nope - No 2 Derby was cut up in 1951 - basically dismantled for parts and the unused bits scrapped. But that's the only missing one.

Apart from the two MNR locos (Nos 1 & 2) cut up in the 1920s.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

of Man Railways - Locos and Railcars - with photos Active, Stored or Surviving, and Scrapped.

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks for the replies, but it also appears Derby wasn't the only one to go, looks like Tynwald as well.

Reply to
James Christie

According to the Lloyd-Jones book, there are substantial remains on display at Castletown, with most of the rest in stores at Douglas. Only the boiler and side tanks have been scrapped. Boilers are interchangeable anyway, and side tanks are easy to reconstruct. There are ex-Barry locos now running that were in worse condition, if not for longer...

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

I have never seen more than the frames and pony truck of No.7. Unless anyone has more up-to-date/accurate information last dates in service I have for those stored were: No.3 1960 and may have ceased earlier No.5 1968 in passenger service, though I believe it may have continued in use on pw trains until early 1969 when I was told the firebox failed. No.6 about 1960 No.9 ??1956?? No.14 1962, though there is a published photograph of her being towed from Ramsey to Douglas for inspection in June 1963 No.16 1964

Richard

Reply to
Richard Mills

continued in

In railway parlance 'stored' is often a euphemism for 'dumped' - have these locos been looked after or are they rotting away?

Reply to
umpston

The engines listed as stored were in the carriage shed when I last visited the IOM in the 1980's.

Dave Wilcox.

Reply to
David Wilcox

I believe No.5 is in the ownership of the IoM Railway Society and stored at Douglas in 'as withdrawn' condition. No.6 was cosmetically restored and repainted a few years ago in Indian Red livery and was in the Works/Paint Shop/Loco shed at various times when I was last on the IMR in 2000. No.14 is in private ownership. Last I heard it was in the north of the Island, condition unknown. I believe No.16 is still on display in the Port Erin museum, partially repainted in Indian Red having been repainted in 'Ailsa' green for display at St John's in 1968. So far as I know, livery apart, she is the only one in anything approaching original (1926) condition, though No.9 comes close. Whereabouts of No.9 unknown. She was another one repainted in Ailsa green for display in 1968.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Mills

Current issue of Steam Railway has a picture of No 9 in the Douglas workshops - implies to be taken on 3 Feb this year.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes