Jerry - the helpful mouthpiece?

WOW! Just when this newsgroup is looking like it's again dying off, all of a sudden it springs back to life because of the annoying reappearance of the most argumentative, self-centred, self-opinionated, self-righteous and ignorant excuse for a civilised human being that mankind has ever known.

Any point, however sized, will be argued. Any fact, will be twisted. Any statement, by the time the thread has run to 100 posts, will be altered to the exact opposite of its original context by careful snipping. No admission will ever be given of a wrong. No apology will ever be issued for a slander. When the argument is being lost, the text will undoubtedly turn to insult. When he's had enough, he'll go quiet, as he disappears off to uk.rec.cars.classic and wherever else he feels the need to create chaos and insult others.

Jerry, you are a prize plonker. You normally start off fine by answering a post with useful and helpful information, but as soon as anyone else dares to question or criticise you always have to go that one step beyond healthy debate and resort to verbal violence. You probably have very few real true friends, especially if your attitude in real life matches your cyber-style, yet I feel compelled to thank you.... I have no wish to ever meet you (I doubt if I'd like you very much, nor you me, because I do not tolerate imbeciles such as yourself) and I despise the way you arrogantly spout your drivel down to others, yet your presence seems to spur others into posting and adding some life back into the group so for that, thank you. Now please poke off somewhere else (but preferably not uk.rec.cars.classic) for a couple of months.....!

Badger.

P.S. I'm not going to bite and get "wound up" at any stupid response, I run on petrol not clockwork!

Reply to
Badger

"Death of Usenet, film at eleven".

This group is usually fairly quiet but what gets posted here is of high quality. Just killfile Jerry and leave the group to carry on as it normally does. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Welcome back "Badger"...

Newsgroups die when they become nothing but a "Clique", full of similar thinking, mutual back slapping, no-bodies who think that know it all, and the less they actually know the worse they become. The fact that you seem to dislike the fact that someone else might have a different opinion says far more about **you** that it ever does anyone else.

Reply to
Jerry

If he's such a plonker, then plonk him, don't respond to him.

Reply to
MartinS

I didn't respond to him, and I won't either. He has so much good info to pass on, yet he seems to suffer from an unavoidable compulsion to argue the toss over the slightest litle things then resort to slander. I just don't get it. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

: > If he's such a plonker, then plonk him, don't respond to him. : : I didn't respond to him, and I won't either.

No, I don't suspect that you will, but you have lit the touch paper and allowed others to do so. Almost the perfect definition of trolling if ever!

: He has so much good info to : pass on, yet he seems to suffer from an unavoidable compulsion to argue the : toss over the slightest litle things then resort to slander. I just don't : get it. : Badger. :

Perhaps you (and others) need to look at your own reactions then, perhaps the problem is not so much my replies but your ability to accept that others have a just as valid opinion of view - take the Christmas thread, who is arguing the toss, me for accepting that there are some people who (whilst remaining polite) would prefer not to be given wishes for a religious event that they do not subscribe to or those who refuse to accept that there are such people simple because they have never **knowingly** upset anyone by offering such wishes?...

Reply to
Jerry
[ context purposely left ] : >

: > : He has so much good info to : > : pass on, yet he seems to suffer from an unavoidable compulsion : > to argue the : > : toss over the slightest litle things then resort to slander. I : > just don't : > : get it. : > : Badger. : > : : >

: > Perhaps you (and others) need to look at your own reactions then, : > perhaps the problem is not so much my replies but your ability to : > accept that others have a just as valid opinion of view - take : > the Christmas thread, who is arguing the toss, me for accepting : > that there are some people who (whilst remaining polite) would : > prefer not to be given wishes for a religious event that they do : > not subscribe to or those who refuse to accept that there are : > such people simple because they have never **knowingly** upset : > anyone by offering such wishes?... : >

: >

: : I'm offended by many things said by other people, but I don't think I : have the right to stop other people from saying things that offend me. :

Even if, with a little thought, they could have said the same thing without offending?

The 'argument' in the "Happy Christmas" thread is nothing what so ever to do with being anti "PC" (I'm as anti the PC argument being used for no good reason, or worse still miss-using it for personal/political gain, as the next person), it's actually simple laziness, a form of the "I'm alright Jack, sod others" or the "Me-me-me" society we seem to have created - and that is why certain posters have taken exception, it's just easier to be unthinking, to be unaware of others, and excuse ones thoughtlessness on being "anti PC" - the phrase "Seasons Greetings" has been used for donkeys years, before anyone ever thought up Women's lib, bra burning, 'Political Correctness' or 'Religious Correctness'.

Reply to
Jerry

What does that have to do with it? I'll rephrase my point: I do not have the right to expect others to refrain from saying things that might offend me. Freedom of speech entails the right to give offense, inadvertently or intentionally.

It also includes the right to ignore what others say - a point that seems to have escaped you.

And since you insist on bringing ethics etc into it, I refer you to Luther's advice: we should place the best possible construction on what others say. You seem intent on doing the exact opposite.

cheers, wolf k.

[snip]
Reply to
Wolf K

Whereas I defend the right for one to hold differing views from both the herd or that of the enlightened (self or professionally grown) and also to express them on a public forum in as strong a manner as they feel fit there are limits.

There is simpy no excuse for losing control and offering verbal abuse in lieu of logic and facts. To indulge in such behaviour usually indicates either a lack of knowlege/ experience or just damned bad manners. Could we end the year with just a touch of decorum please?

Reply to
Sailor

.... and there was me thinking Troll's hibernated for the winter !

This link may be of interest to others on the group

On the subject of Christmas :-

Zrok: "Do Trolls celebrate Christmas?" Brap: "Yes, mostly because of Carol." Zrok: "Carol? Who's Carol?" Brap: "Carol Troll." Zrok: "Yes, in the song "Deck The Halls". Brap: "Oh yes, Troll the Ancient Yuletide Carol."

Below was taken from a site our Troll may have visited but I feel it may be genetic or instinct

How to be a troll

Wait patiently until somebody writes a thing you think you can attack, no matter what. If possible go for marginal trifles.

Start arguing smoothly in your best imitation of a real scholar (rehearse first).

Keep on provoking with increasing offensiveness until the other reacts.

In case of a friendly and polite reply, put it blunter and blunter until the other's politeness wears off.

Get as personal as you can: too much is still not enough.

Don't use any hint of humour or subtlety: as they relate to intelligence real trolls ignore all about them.

Never forget that You Are Right. If your opponent puts you in the corner yell like hell and twist the world until it matches what you said.

Don't be shy, insult freely. The more reasonable the other sounds, the louder and heavier your insults shall be.

Don't give quarter: intrude in whatever discussion you like and never relent until it dies in order to get rid of you.

If irreparably cornered change nickname and restart elsewhere.

So far the 'how' to do it. About the 'why' you should do it, the explanation can vary. The table below covers only part of the known reasons.

Please check all that applies.

as a toddler you had an unresolved conflict with the chamber pot.

since you are unable to prove your superiority, you feel compelled to prove other people's inferiority.

your mother used to shout at you before your friends "and remember not to wet your pants again!"

your father was always right, in particular when he was wrong. Now you are feeling that your turn has come.

your baby-sitter committed suicide because of you and you cannot get rid of the remorse.

you like tying empty cans to the cat's tail.

as a child the nastier you were the more you got, and you never found a valid reason to change.

you are actually the reincarnation of Napoleon but are keeping it confidential for obvious reasons.

Live long and prosper

Reply to
Dragon Heart