Lenz 0511 / Bachmann 08

Have fitted the 1/2 amp 0511 module into a Bachmann 08. Loco runs for a few seconds, then hesitates, and more often than not, = reverses direction for about its own length. Have checked wiring and all seems to be OK. Was wondering if the 0511 isn't up to the job.

Any ideas / comments?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Potter

"Dave Potter" wrote

few seconds, then hesitates, and more often than not, reverses direction for about its own length.

Was wondering if the 0511 isn't up to the job.

I have two 08s using this decoder and both run fine. You could possibly have a faulty decoder or more likely the 08 electrical pick-ups want cleaning.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks for that John. Will investigate cleaning pickups later (if I can = get to them!)

Reply to
Dave Potter

"Dave Potter" wrote

It's not at all difficult. Firstly you need to remove the brake rigging (just clips into the base of the chassis) and the two screws which are visible in the keeper plate. The latter then comes free and you can drop out the wheels for easy access to the pick-ups. Takes about two minutes.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

And they are notoriously good at collecting muck becuase the pickups operate on the top of the wheel rim rather than inside edge, so dirt gets transferred directly from track to wheel to pickup courtesy of a nice little "pip". Eventually the "pip" is held off the wheel by the muck.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

And you need to make they are all in picking from wheels i.e. tension right. Did you also remove the circuit board as that is not required. Mines got a Lenz 114XF.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Ah, that's brill John, many thanks. Had the keeper plate off and the = other screws undone, and was wondering how on earth I could get the = motor out away from the chassis to get to the pickups. Doh!

Nice one mate Dave.

Reply to
Dave Potter

Yup. All done and working fine. That WAS the problem - dirty pickups. = I'll know for the next one :) Thanks once again John.

And yes Chris, I did remove the circuit board.

ATB Dave

Reply to
Dave Potter

know for the next one :)

Thought you might have done as theres not much space with it left in for a decoder.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The 0511 I used is tiny, did not even have to cut the screw lugs off.

Reply to
Dave Potter

Just fitted a Digitrax DZ123 to a new 08 I got for Christmas loads of room for it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris