Marklin HO & Z scale For Sale

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

They were delivered on time, it may have suggested they were 'planned' for

2005, but on checking it seems we were informed early doors last year to expect them in 2006.

This year several totally new models were announced including the BR Standard 4MT and the LMS Ivatt 2MT but from the outset it was made clear that these were for 2007 delivery.

Surely it's a good thing for manufacturers to announce their models in advance - that way unneccessary duplication can be avoided.

Hornby's Rebuilt WC/BB and King Arthur both appeared in their 2006 catalogue and were scheduled for 2006 delivery, but it seems neither will hit the shelves before 2007, so both main manufacturers clearly have the same issues.

I think you can disregard Dapol for announcing new releases - they seem to prefer waiting until an item is in production before announcing it, then people complain they've sold out before they find out about them.

You can please some of the people some of the time ................................................

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Greg Procter" wrote

And the Lima OO-gauge V2 and Hornby's planned re-issue of the Rivarossi 'Aleghenny' which was promised for late-2005 and still not released.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner"

and the British Trix Brush Type 4!

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

I'm not familair with that one. Was it one of those underscale 3.8mm/ft types?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

3.8mm/ft

Yes.

Reply to
Jerry

LIMA?!? I'm still waiting for the HO scale GWR 4-6-0 King promised for

1978!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

That's _overscale_!!!

Regards, Greg.P. L&YR HO scale.

Reply to
Greg Procter

........ and the Dapol 00 Gauge ex-LMS Beyer-Garratt, with revolving coal bunker.

David C

Reply to
David Costigan

I'm sorry, but have got to quibble on this ! not may have been suggested anything, was straight statement that they were planned for 2005. Finally appeared 18 months later ?

Not saying anything yet, but on past experience....

Yep agree its good idea, but if thats all they are doing it for then just say that without giving a date. I suppose what really annoys people is that we the customer rarely have any idea when anything from Bachman is likely to appear. This means that we cant budget for a particular present - my mother insists presents are for the day not on order.

But not of the same magnitude. Move 4th quarter 2006 to 1st qtr 2007 and its min one month max 3 months - depending on who is spinning it.

But for some people thats only by accident.

Could Bachmanns problem be that they are given a set of manufacturing slots then if they miss them theyre lost and maybe the parent company steals some anyway. Could be they dont tell anyone anything cos theyve no idea - not going to admit that !

Simon

Reply to
simon

They were delivered on time, it may have suggested they were 'planned' for

2005, but on checking it seems we were informed early doors last year to expect them in 2006.

You can please some of the people some of the time ................................................

John. What about recent examples of the 4MT and the 08 though ? I'm sure they were in 2 years Catalouges before release ? I stand corrected if not.

It still does not answer why it has taken 12 months (and counting) for the

47 to appear after the newer 57 model ! ???

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

(and also in answer to Simon)

It's possible that Bachmann's British division in China has a very low priority when resources are allocated compared to those devoted to other markets.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It isn't the fact that the image is small that is the issue, it is the tortuous route that you have to take to get to it. What is wrong with a What's New tab. I am sure that there used to be one.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"simon" wrote

Quibble all you like, I was referrin g to a diary entry I made early in 2005 after a meeting with the Bachmann rep. I was told to excpect them in 2006 - which is when they were released.

Show me where they did give a date - \I can't find any reference to one!

Now that's a different matter and I agree completely, but this is an issuie with BOTH major manufacturers. Hornby may quote dates (or at least quarters) but they are often unreliable.

Tell me about it. Try budgeting a retailer's cah flow when up to 50% of a year's new releases are released in the last two month's of the year. Hornby have been particularly bad with this in 2006, which virtually all of the ex-Lima products due to hit the shelves in that period along with several new Margate-inspired new releases.

It could be, but Hornby have the same problem and they don't own their manufacturing base.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

The 08 was a long-drawn out issue from memory, as was the WD 2-8-0.

Maybe they just wanted to screw the market for the Heljan model, or maybe there's less of a demand than expected and other items have taken priority?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"kim" wrote

The British sector was more profitable than the USA division when I last heard, and were get5ting manufacturing slots which were originally scheduled for the Yanks. Maybe a result of the weak dollar?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There is a retailer here in southern Hampshire where I make the occasional purchase. I popped in a few weeks ago to see if he had any of the Bachmann Fairburn 2-6-4Ts; he said that they had not yet arrived and when they did they would probably be his last consignment from Bachmann. His reason for this is that deliveries and supplies have got so erratic and unreliable he feels embarrassed by telling his customers when things are expected and then, subsequently, having to tell them that there has been a further delay. He is, therefore, going to concentrate on Hornby in future as their forecasts are more reliable - as a satisfied customer of his I just hope that Hornby don't suffer in the future from the same problem as Bachmann or we might lose this knowledgeable and helpful retailer.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

occasional

reason for

unreliable he

further delay.

Bachmann or

Quite frankly, that sound more like cutting his own nose off to spite his face IMO, most people want a certain model and although annoyed (if not angered) by delays in delivery many will wait [1], of course if the retailers sales are primarily train set driven then this might not matter.

[1] of there is no duplication otherwise they might by from an alternate manufacture, but there again who would seriously consider (for example) the Hornby Hymek over the Heljan model?!
Reply to
Jerry

"David Costigan" here is a retailer here in southern Hampshire where I make the occasional

Wouldn't be a chap not a few miles from fareham? I popped in on the offchance to see if i could avoid the drive to guagemaster to get the scalextric santa is buying us three boys for crimble. The scalextric had to have a lapcounter (bitter experience - saves endless attempts at cheating) and he explained that "this" set did. He got even more cross when i questioned his word and eventually he conceded it didn't. I didn't really fancy the drive and he did have addon lapcounters and the total cost with two lots of pit crew came within santas budget .

Thought whilst i was there i would have a look at Ernie and commented on his lack of bachmann. He told me that he had stopped stocking it becuase they discounted so heavily to the 4 big boys that he couldn't compete.

For train stuff i had long ago decided that it was worth the drive to alton if i wanted some help/obscure bits/touch before i bought. (just wish he didn't smoke though).

An RTR stockist without Bachmann? Don't think i will buy shares.

ken

Reply to
Ken Wilson

Inside front of 2005 catalogue - planned for 2005.

Suprises me, thought it was more a case of they may miss a quarter but be in the followig month.

Whereas bachman miss a year and manage within the following 6-9 months.

Yes but they make the deals with the manufacturer, whereas perhaps Bachmanns parent can override any deal.

Simon

Reply to
simon

That would be a reasonable assumption to make - choose on profit - but more often its decided by the politics within the company. as an example back OT, who was given the priority frieght vs passenger traffic - not the money maker !

Simon

Reply to
simon