Crikey! She's a beaut!

For those of you who are wondering what arrived this morning, go to

Jane Sullivan

Big pool of drool to clean up now

Reply to
Trev

Bastard, I wanted that :-)

...............Leslie

Reply to
Leslie

in your back garden!

DROOL....

What's the pulling power like?

Reply to
Ian

Very nice, but a long way from home!

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

In message , Leslie writes

You can still get it.

Go to

for details.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I would prefer a 4Cor!

Reply to
Jerry

Eh??? It's not African; the slang in the subject should tell you where it originated (after it left the UK, that is).

Dunno yet. I've only run it light so far. I'll let you know in due course.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Too true. But that's the good thing about railway modelling: you can run whatever takes your fancy. I'm interested in coal and iron ore, not just in the UK; and these minerals required powerful locos to shift them.

I now need to find some cars to go behind the loco. Got any ideas?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

I saw one of these beasts in South Africa about 4 years ago, though didn't know they'd got down-under too.

Reply to
Ian

In message , Jerry writes

Sorry, I dunno where you can get one of those RTR :-)

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Not really. In my school days I visited the iron ore mines at Iron Knob and the (brown) coal mine at Leigh Creek (both in South Australia). By that time the ore trains were diesel hauled of course. Both products are filthy, with the iron ore probably worse than coal for getting everywhere. Iron Knob was served by a narrow gauge line. Actually Leigh Creek might have been narrow gauge as well (it was passed by the old Ghan line).

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

,

Hopefully Hornby will announce them for 07, well they are seemingly bent of SR stock and Bachmann have already announced a 4Cep....

Reply to
Jerry

In message , Jerry writes

That would be nice, and I'd buy a couple if they did, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

,

seemingly

I would buy three if one had a BUF centre coach. :~)

Reply to
Jerry

Several local manufacturers have announced appropriate cars for the AD60, if coal hauling is your main interest for this loco. The categories you would be interested in would be the BCH code cars (bogie hopper) (think of Bogie Coal Hopper) which is currently available in kit form from:

If you want to be REALLY kinky. you could always run a string of 4 wheel hoppers (CH, CCH or LCH) behind this loco. A kit is available from Casula hobbies for A$12.50. Web site:

The AD60 also survived into the era of the cylindrical aluminium hopper, of which the NHFH/NHJF is an example, but I dont know if this particular model was from the same era: Fully built up available for A$169.95 in a 6 car pack from:

Of the three listed, I will always associate the AD60 with the BCH hopper, with an FHG* guards van on the end. But, it does look kinda appealing with a huge loco hauling 4 wheel stock - reminds me of a mother duck with a brood of tiny ducklings toddling behind.

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

  • - FHG guards van available from Trainorama, RTR in twin pack for .95. Pity they dont have any black ones left apparently...
Steve

"Jane Sullivan" wrote

Does it run as well as it looks?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , Jerry writes

Me too. Or a RES. I remember standing on Battersea Park station in the 1960s waiting for my South London Line train homewards from school, and seeing one or more trains of them whizzing through Clapham-Junction-wards on the fast lines. One most important point: Will whoever makes them replicate the pendulum action of the front gangway swinging from side to side?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , John Turner writes

Yes. And it starts on speed step 1 (of 128) without fiddling around with CVs, which is more than can be said of many other locos.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

In message , Steve writes

Hi, Steve

Thank you very much for this mail. It is most helpful.

I have experience of AR kits: my other Australian loco is an AR kits 81 class, with a very simple drive mechanism: central motor with two flywheels, driving all axles via the usual cardan shafts and gear towers. I bought this as a souvenir when I was in Australia for a conference in Bicentennial year. I still haven't DCC'ed it yet, although it's on the list of locos to do.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan