Marklin HO & Z scale For Sale

"David Costigan" wrote

My experience is just the opposite, supplies from Bachmann although perhaps slow in arriving initially are generally of better quality and restocking is much easier with their dealer friendly website being a great asset.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jerry" wrote

I do recall someone suggesting that the Hornby 'Jinty' was a better option for a shunting layout than the Bachmann version. I just don't agree with that however, although the Bachmann model does take a little 'tweaking' of the pick-ups to get top quality running.

Got to say that (on balance) I prefer the Hornby 08 to the Bachmann version, but that's the only model in the entire Hornby range where I would claim that.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes, just a few miles from Fareham in the general direction of Gaugemaster.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

Ah yes tweaking :- tweaked pickups untangled sand pipes checked wheels BtB re-aligned wheels filed wheels filed coupling rods filed chassis re-seated motor

It had more flash than the kitchen has seen in the last 100 years !

was quite good after that, if a little fast off the mark (0-60 in 4 secs). Will soon find out what its like with a hornby decoder. wonder if above is why the Hornby jinty was recommended as a shunter to someone just starting out ?

Simon

Reply to
simon

Waited 4 months for local toy shop to get an LMS crab after they had been released (cant remember how long waited for the release). rep took pity but could only bring a BR one. Gave up and bought one from internet, local shop gave up on Bachmann - that wasnt an isolated case. Now hornby would you believe always delivers within a day or so of box shifters. plus they are so helpful !

Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Sound just like the Hornby locos we get back for repair on a regular basis (repair ratio 6 Hornby to 1 Bachmann incidentally). Many of the Hornby faults would be easily avoidable if the manufacturer actually listened to its service dealers.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"simon" wrote

I've heard of stories like this before, but I'm informed that the problem usually arises because of

a) a poor payment record by the retailer and the manufacturer is withholding supplies,

b) the retailer has failed to order the item or

c) the retailer has ordered the item after the manufacturer has sold out.

On the other hand I'm still waiting for Hornby DCC Loco Decoders for instances, and none of the above are relevent, although I understand that the decoders are in the market place.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They shouldn't be IMHO. You would be doing your customers a service by selling them something else instead.

Andrew

Reply to
google

wrote

We don't 'sell' anything, our customer 'buy' - the customer is always right (so they say) except when buying an untried product. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well, who knows the truth, but the good ladies in the toy shop provided my first Hornby train set over 45 years ago and theyre still going strong and still selling ranges that have been around for a long time - such as Hornby. Some locos continued to trickle in - I bought an Ivatt class 4 from there. the crab was ordered before they hit the shops, at the same time as BR version. Dont think LMS crabs were fully sold out on release. Finally I saw the order form wth the outstanding items listed.

More likely as its a toy shop so low volume and bachmann isnt bothered or hasnt got a suitable distribution setup. Very short sighted really as tey get a good range of customers in who will perhaps see and buy one loco or set from there but then move on to purchase elsewhere - no discount here !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Wow such 'confidence'. Never mind that you have no information as to the customers reasons or any respect for their opinions !

Simon

Reply to
simon

Good for you John, whilst I'm always interested and grateful to hear the retailers opinions, its my money and I want to choose. i dont mind any retailer thinking I'm an idiot, but they wont see my money or me again if they try to make feel like one.

Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

If your shop has such low volume that it cannot put together an order which meets Bachmann's very modest minmimum order, then I can understand a reluctance on behalf of Bachmann to ship to them.

The quality of retailers varies enormously. We once had a chap in the shop who had bought a Hornby 'Flying Scotsman' trainset from one of the big retailers 'r' us and couldn't get the loco to work. He'd returned it to the supplier on three occasions and they exchanged the set each time [1]. This time he brought the loco into my shop for some advice and to ask me to test it. I asked for the loco tender, and the chap was rather surpised 'Why do you need that?" he asked and was severeley embarassed when I answered 'Because the motor is in the tender'.

[1] Imagine the cost to Hornby of shipping back three (non) faulty 'Flying Scotsman' sets. Someone somewhere has to pay that cost, and the reality is that it is the end-user and all because the retailer had poor or no product knowledge.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Had that been the case then there would have been no deliveries at all. It wasnt the case, just that Bachmann were selective in what waas delivered and when. So if wasnt cos low volume perhaps tis just incometence on befalf of distributer.

Over the years these ladies have gained an awful lot of experience. At different times theyved even had a layout in the shop. They also sell bikes - often having to assemble them. Having struggled to mend a puncture, took the wheel in to them. One of them whipped out the inner tube, showed us the hole I'd made getting the tyre off, whapped another tube in and pumped the tyre up. Quick as anything ! Theyre at the top end of the range in quality. I'll buy from the internet, but only if local toy shop not got it.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon