merg

I am thinking of joining merg, in that I am a complete beginner to model railways (been thinking for a year, haven't laid a piece of track but the loft now has escape windows and the floors, stairs and heating gets installed in the next few months). But I am quite familiar with electronics (my job involves repairing/calibrating industrial control and test equipment).

One of my questions is what is the level of group, will it be aimed at telling people what a transistor is or is it aimed at someone who is seeking something like a detailed description/circuit of a RS232 to dcc converter using a pic controller programmed by the constructor.

Also I have noticed that if I join now I will get some vouchers which can be used to buy technical bulletins, but the new bulletins are available as pdf down loads. Are the old (paper?) bulletins worth the vouchers (i.e. they not superseded by the new ones), or should I wait till next month (no vouchers but two months "free" membership)?

Your views eagerly anticipated

Andy

-- spam trap remove .net from email address

Reply to
Andrew Carr

Phil (MERG Member): Paul King or Keith Norgrove, who are both members, and contribute regularly here to this group will no doubt offer a fuller, and 'official' reply.

There are no qualification exams to join - anyone with the interest to do so can join. All will equally receive the newsletter etc. As with all groups or societies, it is then up to the individual to decide to what extent they either can, or wish to participate.

The newsletters and tech bulletins may still be received in the 'old fashioned way', or via email: this allows colour illustration at no extra cost! It also makes it easier for the international members. Obviously there is both an external, and labour cost involved in sending paper copies, which is largely avoided with the electronic copies - which are available '24/7' on line for instant download (to members).

There is a MERG mailing list/newsgroup. It tends to be more 'technical' than the average content of this group, but not always - Paul King in particular seems to keep a watchful eye on sources of useful 'surplus' parts, and posts news of these. Since MERG offers a wide range of kits (for members), for anything from train on track detectors to full dcc command stations or alternatives for signal-centric users, obviously discussions may appear around these topics. If a topic is of no interest to you personally, it can be deleted in the privacy of your own home, and no other member will feel upset.

Meetings are held in London - which may be considered a disavantage to those not able to get there - but before feeling aggrieved at subsidising them: those who attend, are then asked to contribute a pound to the cost of the room, so it must be largely self financing (and used for the committee meetings)

Many members are also active members of other model railway groups. A final comment: No other UK model railway related publication that I have come across is able or prepared to include electronics at anything other than 'attach this pretty blue wire to this sticking pout bit; as drawn by a graphic artist who does not understand the intent of the design. Expect electronics diagrams as you would find them in an electronics magazine.

Reply to
Phil

railways (been thinking for a year, haven't laid a piece of

gets installed in the next few months). But I am quite

control and test equipment).

people what a transistor is or is it aimed at someone

converter using a pic controller programmed by the

We have quite a broad spectrum of membership, and there are people answering to both of the descriptions you give. Our main aim is to show what electronics can do for model railways and get people doing it. Hence those with the ability design things that interest them and if enough interest is shown we produce kits for sale to members. The bulk buying this permits usually means that the kit can be cheaper than buying the parts yourself in small quantity. Current kit activity is covering the DIY DCC and an Automatic block system for DC trains.

used to buy technical bulletins, but the new bulletins

vouchers (i.e. they not superseded by the new ones), or

On the whole, since you are familiar with electronics, you are probably better off waiting till next month. I think the vouchers can be put towards kits as well but three months worth won't get you very far.

Hope this helps. If you are near London and have the time you could come to the meeting on the 24th Jan. and meet some of us.

Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

An excellent group offering help and advice for all who join, well recommended.

Colin.

Reply to
Colin

railways (been thinking for a year, haven't laid a piece of

heating gets installed in the next few months). But I am quite

industrial control and test equipment).

telling people what a transistor is or is it aimed at someone

dcc converter using a pic controller programmed by the

be used to buy technical bulletins, but the new bulletins

vouchers (i.e. they not superseded by the new ones), or

I don't know what they are like nowadays, but when I was a member about 5 years back they were COMPLETELY obsessed with DCC and were not interested in ANYTHING else, and that's why I left after about 6 months. would carefully check out the web site before parting with ANY cash.

regards Keith

Reply to
Keith Lanham

Well, I reckon that it's just the opposite - too much of the old fashioned block control and not enough DCC! :o))

Keith Lanham wrote:

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

I'd second that.

John

Reply to
John Smith

MERG, like all groups is comprised of individuals with different interests and different degrees of enthusiasm, evangelism, ability etc. DCC being the big new thing in model railway electronics at that time there was and still is a lot of interest in it. Some members have spent their time developing DCC systems that others can build and use at considerable savings over commercial products. In the same time period other members have developed an automatic block system for non-dcc applications and we have kits available for that. Others have developed an effective data transmission system that can be used for data links from panel to layout, or to connect a computer to the layout. Others have produced software to work with this system. This system was developed for non-dcc layouts and has since been extended to cope with either.

I may be biased in that I joined MERG specifically for the DCC content, but I have learned much else besides and consider your statement above to be unfounded exaggeration. If you found that MERG did not provide what you expected and hence did not renew that's fine. Any prospective member is advised to check through the website, study the prospectus, come to a meeting if possible, correspond with any of the committee members etc before deciding to join.

We are a group of people interested in electronics as applied to model railways, we are not a business providing a service to customers. You will get benefits only by participating.