My layout near to final design...

I've had a bit of time, and funding over the last couple of weeks to do a bit more work on my layout.

Details are here:

and some photos are here:

The photos are more or less chronological.

Any comments appreciated, but please bear in mind I have not got a lot more spare cash. Tne cork underlay isn't quite finished yet, I have some more on the way, so I should be able to complete that this week.

Then the biggest headache is finding enough points motors to make a start on powering the layout.

Cheers.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

It's a Mac thing. ;-) But it works with Firefox on WinXP, too.

Click on Subscribe, the pictures will show up, and you can move to a gallery of thumbnails, from which you can view larger versions of the pictures. The layout diagranms will also be enlarged when you click on them.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

er, I don't suppose you have a non-Javascript version? Even my Javascipt browser is can't render the pages!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Er, no, sorry. I created the pages on my Mac, using iWeb, and the gallery is directly uploaded from iPhoto - I don't have any control over those pages at all.

I'll see if I can find another way. I know they do show up fine in Safari and Firefox on Mac OS and Windows, and AFAIK it usually works with IE too, but I don't have a way to test this easily.

Regards.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:26:42 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@me.com (Andy Hewitt) said in :

You could always register on mine, it's a wiki :-)

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Ta. I do have a bit of spare web space I could just bung a plain HTML page onto, it's just getting the time - in iPhoto, I just drop photos into my albums, and they get uploaded automagically :-).

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I've now bunged them onto a Picassa album, see if that's any better (I forgot that works from iPhoto too).

Cheers.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Oh dear, I tried to stop it, but it went anyway...

The link is:

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

It works fine as a Picasa album, too.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir
[..]

That's great, and?....

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Bootifull ta!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Nice unconventional layout - doesn't look like it came out of a track plan book. Unconventional is good! ;-) Nice to see what I presume is the shunters cabin at the throat of the yard where it should be. And the tree on the platform!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd
[..]

Ta. No, I didn't get it from a track plan boot, although there were a great source of inspiration for parts of the layout. I decided I wanted to be able to run as much as I could in the limited space I have, so that really how it ended up as it is. It will be based on a fictional preserved line, running mixed traffic.

The trees and buildings aren't likely to be anywhere near where they are now, I just put them out for layout testing.

Cheers.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

It's OK, the word "Play" can be used! :~)

Andy, if *you* are happy that is the main thing, you will no doubt develop certain likes and dislikes as you go [1] and you will probably change things as time (and finance) goes by, I would suggest that you spend the next month or two just 'playing trains' to both check that everything works as expected and that your enjoyment level is what you expected from the design - better to make fundamental changes now than when you start modelling whet ever landscape and building you intend.

[1] and your involvement with railway preservation will no doubt influence you to some degree, I speak from personal experience, my dislike of RTR track came about from working with the real thing - as a direct result I took up P4 gauge - take my advice, if you have an eye for scale modelling don't get involved with full size trackwork!
Reply to
Jerry

Ok, Ok, you got me ;-)

Aye, I found that I prefer to have lots of action, and sacrifice the scenery. If I had more space, I'd have both. The playing I have done over the last year has given me ideas to redesign the track a number of times already.

LOL, that's not too likely, I only work in the station group - this week we were stripping paint off the bridge.

I also know my limitations, and I'm not that good a modeller really. I enjoy it, and I get a lot of pleasure making the kits. I'm certainly not up to building locos and rolling stock from scratch, so RTR is has to be. Making the scenery, what there will be of it, will be fun though, and should be within my abilities. I'll buy what I have to, and make what I can.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt