Layout Design Software

Having a couple of days off I have been searching the net for layout design software................ brain strain!!!

I would be interested in others opinions regarding what product to purchase. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Simon Waters

Reply to
Simon Waters

I've been using 3PI (3rd Plan It) for about two years. I like it BUT, like most CAD software there is a learning curve. I haven't used any other CAD track planning packages so I can't compare it to anything.

A number of folks have mentioned CADRail and I was thinking of buying a copy and trying it. There is a Linux CAD package available which I haven't tried (my NetBSD system seems to emulate the wrong Linux!?).

Good luck, Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Thanks Paul. I like the look of the CADRail as well. I figured I had nothing to loose by posting the question, nothing like getting other opinions. I have an attic full of useless software I have purchased over the years (probably a slow learner) which I bought because it looked great from the screen shots and box design!!!!

Have you heard anything of the RR-Track for Windows? Just one of the many I have looked at.

Reply to
Simon Waters

I just looked up the old Abracadata site and got a good laugh.

Looking at the Macintosh software, I note that Train Engineer Deluxe for Macintosh runs in OS X only in Classic Mode and requires OS-9 compatible print drivers. It does NOT work on G3 or G4 Macintoshes.

For those not in on the joke, OS X (as supported by Apple) requires a G3 or better, so Train Engineer Deluxe CAN'T run in OS X at all.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

It sounded familiar. I just looked at their web page "Graphical Sectional Track" sounds pretty limited. If I want the HO & N scale libraries it looks like I have to buy it twice. 3PI comes with N, HO, O (for sure, I'm not infront of that machine right now or I'd check for other scales). You can set your own scale 1:???. It comes with a pretty good selection of sectional track, turnouts, etc in the 3 scales mentioned.

3PI has a substantial "user" supplied libarary of add-on "stuff" (turntables, various engines & cars, structures). 3PI can do a 3D view and set trains in motion (not clear to me from the RR-track page if it can do that). While in 3D I can "fly around", follow a train, or view from the cab. There are also "view points" the camera view goes to the closest "view point" and follows the train until it gets closer to a different "view point", I kind alike it! *8-D.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

I use 3rdPlanIt for my layout design needs. I tried CADRail but I didn't like it. 3PI is the most like AutoCAD that I've used, and I have used AutoCADr11, r12, r13, and r14. 3PI is a very nice general drafting program as well, even tho' it is missing things like "ARRAY" and the ability to trim multiple lines at once. However, it's pretty darn good CAD for the money. I highly reccommend it, but be prepared to climb the learning curve... :-) For a freebie, I've heard that the Atlas CAD is okay...

Paul A. Cutler III

************** Weather Or No Go New Haven **************
Reply to
Pac Man

I used 3PI (3rd plan it). It's very nice. I'm finished with it as my layout is complete. If you would like to purchase this LEGAL copy from me., you can have it at a nice savings over new. Let me know at: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Cheers

Reply to
coustanis

If you are looking for Mac OSX model railroad layout design software, I think that Empire Express

is the only game in town. It works reliably in Jaguar and Panther for me.

It lays out track on solid lines representing the track centerline (no fancy two rails with ties stuff here). It comes with several HO and N track libraries, and few Walthers and DPM structure outlines. It is pretty easy to build new libraries. I built one for the Pilz Elite stuff I use, including turnouts, as well as Aristocraft and LGB libraries for G gauge.

The problems I have with it are:

  1. It can print (or create a PDF) of the layout in various sizes, but does NOT print edge to edge, so piecing together a full size layout for placing track involves lots of cutting and taping. But it is accurate at 100% size. See my website (below sig) for a couple of pictures based on PDFs from Empire Express and for some photos of laying out the track.

  1. It cannot export track plans to other, convenient picture formats like Photoshop, JPEG, etc. That makes it difficult to use them elsewhere. You can do some stuff by exporting to PDF (that is, printing), then using Phototshop or other programs to convert that to other formats.

  2. There is no train simulation. As I design new stuff, I do a lot of running my finger around the screen to make sure I've got traffic flow correct. A simulator would be useful.

  1. There are lots of useful model railroad symbol which you must just build yourself: insulated blocks, power sections, etc.

  2. When you enter a text comments, you specify a font and size, as well as a box which contains the text. If you print or display at a different size (lets say to spec. the text at a medium size, like 1" == 1', then print or display at a different size to make the whole thing fit on one page (like .75" == 1'), the text stays the same size (say, 10 point), but the text box shrinks, possibly cutting off some text. You can work around this when printing by using scaling which also shrinks the text, but it is annoying.

Ed.

in article snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, coustanis at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 4/2/04 9:28 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

I guess Abracadata figured it was not worth upgrading their product for MAC users. Both of them will be upset. :)

Reply to
wannandcan

OH MAN!! They lost 3 more users!!??

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Well, Paul, it depends on who you listen to. Steve jobs is still trying to convince everybody that MAC is alive and well, all the MAC zealots believe Steve that they have 20% of the "overall" market. But then you get the real figures, during the MS trial of a couple of years ago, Apple had only 5%, but the Linux user base was 2-3 times larger than Apple's so MS won the case, they did not have a monopoly.

Linux has gained each year, Apple has fallen. The last figures I saw, from the CNET site were back in the fall and they claimed Apple had less than 3%.

I know Apple is losing ground, when Adobe announces that Premiere 7 will NOT be available for the MAC. It is also rumored that this will be the last version of Illustrator and Photoshop for the MAC. Adobe apparently is about to offer full support for Linux across their entire product line.

Reply to
wannandcan

"W> Having a couple of days off I have been searching the net for layout design "W> software................ brain strain!!! "W> "W> I would be interested in others opinions regarding what product to purchase. "W> Any input would be appreciated.

XTrakCad

You can download it (for MS-Windows *OR* Linux) and use it to design a

*small* layout (4'x8' max). If you like it, send them $65 and get a license key for full functionality.

It works *great*. It is what I use.

"W> "W> Thanks, "W> Simon Waters "W> "W> "W>

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

"Pac Man" wrote in news:l3hbc.12468$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Depends on what you are trying to do. If you want somthing that is free, simple, easy to learn, then Right Track from Atlas is OK. It lets you slap together track plans and experiment with various layouts. But for serious design I would use a CAD type program.

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

I have tried some which were toys. I use CADRAIL by Sandia Software. It is up to version 8. It does real CAD with exact measurements and placement of track. You can have several layers and design the benchwork, then the track all in a room. Then you can turn off different layers and print just the track. I use spiral easements and it is very helpful in drawing those. I can print track work like easements full size and use the print as a template. It has a library of commercial turnouts for an exact placement. It takes a little learning to use, so sit down for a weekend and work through the tutorial.

Art Adkins

Reply to
RR Artie

[Explanation of Apples dwindling market share snipped]

Yeah, they used to have 5 users now they have 2. *8-D

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse