new Google groups

I like the idea for one reason. I have to travel a lot for work, and most of the hotels I stay in, while having free internet access, do not provide access to Newsgroups, just E Mail and the Web. So now I can keep up with the group instead of coming home to 400 new posts Rob

Reply to
Rob K

What has this thread got to do with model railways?

All because one person could accept a piece of info with making a fuss.

What a waste of time!!!!

DaS"

Reply to
D A Smith

Because some people are not allowed access to usenet from work (so have to use the existing Google groups to view usenet) and have better things to do at home (like modelling!).

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

"MBQ" wrote

Should they not have better things to do at work too, or is that just a cynical old-fashioned attitude?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The time on your posting is 12.18

I assume you are on a lunch break?

At 13.27 I am, and I'm at home.

:-)

-- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"

Reply to
Brian Watson

"Brian Watson" wrote

Self-employed so the only person I can rob of time is me; anyway Monday's my day off! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

Not content with running a model shop, now he thinks he's a vicar as well!

Reply to
David Jackson

In message , David Jackson writes

I thought vicars had every day except Sundays off.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Be sure to stand a good distance away from your vicar when presenting that view, in case (s)he is one of those muscular Christians ;-)

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

In message , "Just zis Guy, you know?" writes

Sorry, I don't have a vicar. I don't need anyone to deputize for me.

Reply to
John Sullivan

The message from John Sullivan contains these words:

Those I know treat Monday as their "official" day off - what they do on other days varies considerably...

Reply to
David Jackson

I don't have a vicar either. He's a rector now (and works seven days some weeks, what with funerals and weedings and such).

Better stop there before Acrimnoy arises.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

That is what they would like, rather than a 24/7 job that they have, if they are lucky and have a considerate flock they might get 14/6.5 if not a 24/6 !

Reply to
Jerry.

I don't mean this to be evangelical but the advantage of knowing how to use linux is that you can carry around a Live CD which you pop into the CD reader and everything you need is instantly available...well, say 90 seconds or so. Though I suppose Libraries and i-cafes may disable CD booting. Didn't realise some ISPs tie you to a particular phone line, how do they know?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Called uni of life, yarning in the union over a pint or five.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Caller line identification. It stops more than one house hold sharing one account and (on pay as you go accounts) implies that the person who has taken out the dial up account lives or at least spends time at the address to which the phone line is charged to.

Reply to
Jerry.

"Ken Parkes" wrote

line, how do they know?

Guess that 1471 technology comes into it somehow.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In news:c8ttp7$3tv$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreaderg1.core.theplanet.net, John Turner blithered:

Tis called CLI, Caller line Identification, notably used by freeserve so they can charge a connection fee to your phone account.

Reply to
GbH

I thought that the use of CLI by ISPs was to ensure that you were using a phone used by BT, or whichever phone company they had the usage deal with. It's also an addition to the authentication process when logging in.

I used to have a Freeserve (sort of) unlimited account with the CLID limitation and the only charge they made was the agreed monthly debit from my credit card.

I now use a PlusNet business (sort of) unlimited account which allows access from several different phone numbers, provided you declare them before use and they have to be BT numbers as part of the deal..

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

In message , Jim Guthrie writes

You don't have any of this nonsense with broadband.

Reply to
John Sullivan