LNER (ex-GC) A5 Pacific tanks - quick question

Hello all,

My next scratchbuilding project is an A5 in BR lined black, by way of something different and to finally(!) give my proposed layout some ex-LNE motive power. However, I'm a bit unsure about the buffers; Nick Campling's drawing from a 1973 RM depicts an LNER-era loco with round rear buffers but oval fronts. All of my Ian Allan ABCs don't give much of a bunker-end view, so I'm not sure whether the spec stayed the same or was altered later in their careers (I'm thinking they may have ended up all-oval). Any light shed on this will be greatly welcomed.

Regards, David

Reply to
David E. Belcher

The standard as built seems to have been oval fronts, round rears. But Yeadon Vol 21 has pics of 9830 (ex 1712) apparently with round fronts in 1946 and 9817 (ex 5373) with oval rears also in 1946.

RCTS Part 7 has piccies of 1750 (in 1935) and 69824 (in 1955) both with round front buffers.

So I think the way to go is oval fronts, round rears, unless you have evidence of anything else for your chosen prototype.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

"Tim Illingworth" wrote

Can't argue with that, but the best *way to go* is to get one or more photographs of one specific prototype loco and use that as the basis for your model.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I cant help I'm afraid, but as a person who for a number of reasons cannot build kits, and cannot afford them to be built for me, I would love to think that one day a UK manufacturer would bring out a model of an A5, A8, or C12,13 etc.

Reply to
Jon

I've managed to unearth an ABC with a decent photo by R.C. Riley; the loco (number escapes me at the moment) pictured does indeed have the round rear/oval front combo, so that's the one I'll be modelling. Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to the original question.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

AFAIK oval buffers were used where there was an overhang that might lead to buffer locking on tight curves, e.g. the front end of a 4-6-x loco, or on long coaches. They'd be less needed on a tender, other than for appearance's sake.

Reply to
MartinS