LNER 4-4-2 tank question

I have come across a photo of an LNER 4-4-2 number 5 4 5 4 hauling a train on the Mid Cheshire line in LNRE days - Can anyone advise what class this was? Anyone know when it entered service?

Reply to
Mike Smith

Source: RCTS Locomotives of the LNER

Robinson's GCR Class 9K, LNER Class C13. Built February 1905 at Gorton. GCR No. 454. LNER No. 5454 from July 1924. No. 7431 from April 1946 BR No. 67431 from June 1948. Classed as sub-class C13/3 from 1928-38. Received a superheater in April 1928. (C13/3 = superheated + under 13ft high) Never fitted with push-pull gear.

Withdrawn October 1956.

The RCTS book describes them as "without a doubt one of Robinson's most successful designs".

See also:

Richard M

Richard Marsden

Many thanks for that - It ran on my local line for a time in LNER days

Reply to
Mike Smith