OT: PROM: BBC2, 7.00pm

'Homeground', BBC2, 7.00pm, Monday 21st February 2005 (tonight!)

'The National Railway Museum team who restored the Flying Scotsman guide the locomotive on a series of trips to the Yorkshire coast, but keeping to a

21st-century timetable with Twenties technology proves a formidable challenge...'

Just in case anyone's interested...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

In message , Ian J. writes

An ex-GWR loco would have done it with no problems.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Just as long as there's a Stanier around to give the GWR loco a tow when it breaks down :o)

Perhaps the 'National Rail Museum' should be retitled the 'North Eastern Railway Museum'.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The message from "kim" contains these words:

Preferably a Black Five.

"You know it makes sense!"

Reply to
David Jackson

Out of interest could anyone remind me where Sir William learnt his trade and under whom?

"There's the GWR way and then there's the wrong way". :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

But seeing as Stanier was Swindon trained, and introduced many GW design practices to the LMS, surely thats the same thing?

John

Reply to
John Ruddy

They had the best possible rescue loco to hand - 47798!

*ducks and hides*
Reply to
Rich Mackin

If he'd remained at Swindon his career would have stagnated along with his designs. The freedom he gained at Crewe gave him the opportunity to try out new ideas.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Well exactly. I mean, can you imagine Gods Woeful Railway daring to turn out something like a Duchess? And where would his very impressie Black Fives, 2-6-4ts etc have fitted in? They would all have had a Standard Swindon Boiler!

Reply to
James Christie

The message from James Christie contains these words:

Hey! I was going to say all that! And I would have added "with Swindon's idea of superheat: a steam-warmer!" to the last sentence.

Reply to
David Jackson

In message , David Jackson may have written...

Or indeed more akin to a hot water bottle..... :-))

Reply to
James Christie

Thanks for the nod or I would have missed it.

In that montage of clips representing trains to the seaside etc was that a glimpse of a tavern car on the train behind the Southern Pacific?

For the young who may have never heard of them a tavern car was another of Mr Bulleids exotic creations. An almost windowless coach with a pub like interior and a livery which had brickwork painted on the lower panels. they also had individual pub like names .

A generation or two later the Wessex electrics harked back to this with the buffet cars having names and the snug. At least these have some windows. I wonder if some one on the Southern did have a long memory? G.Harman

Reply to
g.harman

Back in the 1970s (after the UA Turbos had bit the dust), CN ran "Bistro" cars in its Toronto-Montreal Rapido express. Converted from baggage cars, they were equipped with a bar and a piano. Many patrons partied the whole 4-hour trip in the Bistro.

Reply to
MartinS