What makes a gimmick?

Any thoughts on this one? I know some regard Hornby's 50 and 31 fans as gimmicks, but as far as I'm concerned if it moves on the real thing I'm all
for it if it does on the model too. Didn't hear anyone say the lights were gimmicks!
Having said that....is the fan correct? Has it got the right number of blades?
My 00 is at chest/shoulder level so they're not particularly obvious but the layouts at waist height at shows and so on might like them for the spectators to go "Oooh!" over maybe.
Would you rather have the tenner (or whatever) in your pocket per loco than the fans?
~Fil Downs

The fans are an interesting touch, but in the case of the 50 spin so fast as to be barely noticeable! The real gimmick has to be the opening doors. They're only really good for holding up the loco to people and saying "Look! The doors open!" as there's no way of holding them open. Seems a bit pointless IMO.
--
*** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ ***
Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk)

Yes, the doors...they'd have been better not to be on springs and be...sort of stiff so they could be posed open/ half-open etc.
Fil

The sliding vents on the steam cab roofs are much easier to show off!
Seen First Class Trains diesel exhaust smoke kit?
--
Martin S.

You can use them to insert a driver figure. If they weren't sprung you wouldn't be able to close them again.
(kim)

A false bulkhead prevents any sort of access to the cab proper though.
--
*** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ ***
Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin-co-uk)

You could if either of the two cab door windows were 'wound down' a bit :)
Fil

all
were
<snip>
Yes, I'm all for a revolving diesel engine, what about working head code blinds on pre TOPS diesels and Electrics whilst their at it ?
Where will it all stop...

Before you know it that will be a DCC mod, if it isn't already!
--
Regards,

James Christie

Exactly my thoughts when the operating mail coach first appeared.
:-)
Then there was the hopper system, the firing rocket, the searchlight car, locos "with smoke!"...
Won't be long before the loos flush.
--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

<snip>
At that point it will be modern stock only for me, OK it will mean emptying the tanks but at least I won't get hit in the eye whilst base-board side !....
Gimmics: -
Smoke, sound, traction tyres.
Nice to have: -
Opening doors, opening windows, opening cab roof ventiltors.
Must haves: -
On diesels and electrics, constant intensity working headlights.
-- Cheers Roger T.

...and the giraffe wagon! Please don't forget the giraffe wagon.
--
Dave,
Frodsham
David Jackson wrote:

searchlight car,

Nor the helicopter-launching wagon and the kind-of-spaceship-on-wheels driven by a propellor.
Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Good old Tri-ang! (FSVO good <g>)
--
Dave,
Frodsham
David Jackson wrote:

Don't forget the opening smokebox door on that Southern thingy: M7 was it? Years ahead of its time.
--
Tommy

Was that classed as a design feature or a design flaw? I never did work it out. But then I was a Meccano/Hornby-Dublo fanatic, so Tri-ang only made toys and dolls...
"Duchess of Atholl Rules OK!"
--
Dave,
Frodsham
David Jackson wrote:

Oh I agree with you there. (although 46247 for me limited edition)
My mate's Auntie got promotion at Binns Rd from 3-rail to 2-rail and we all got a bottle of lemonade and a packet of crisps in celebration.
I wonder what would have happened these days if she could speak Chinese?
--
Tommy

Tommy wrote:

Marklin had that on it's DR class 64 and 86 way back in 1950.
Greg.P.
Greg.P. wrote:

Hey Greg, don't complicate matters, Class 86s are leccies over here and don't have smokebox doors, but I suspect the DR Class 64s were something like the MeHano thingies with red plasticky chassis that used to turn up in toy markets in Liverpool from time to time sold for next to nothing.
--
Tommy