What makes a gimmick?

Any thoughts on this one? I know some regard Hornby's 50 and 31 fans as gimmicks, but as far as I'm concerned if it moves on the real thing I'm all for it if it does on the model too. Didn't hear anyone say the lights were gimmicks!

Having said that....is the fan correct? Has it got the right number of blades?

My 00 is at chest/shoulder level so they're not particularly obvious but the layouts at waist height at shows and so on might like them for the spectators to go "Oooh!" over maybe.

Would you rather have the tenner (or whatever) in your pocket per loco than the fans?

~Fil Downs

Reply to
Fil Downs

The fans are an interesting touch, but in the case of the 50 spin so fast as to be barely noticeable! The real gimmick has to be the opening doors. They're only really good for holding up the loco to people and saying "Look! The doors open!" as there's no way of holding them open. Seems a bit pointless IMO.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Yes, I'm all for a revolving diesel engine, what about working head code blinds on pre TOPS diesels and Electrics whilst their at it ?

Where will it all stop...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Yes, the doors...they'd have been better not to be on springs and be...sort of stiff so they could be posed open/ half-open etc.

Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs

In message , ":::Jerry::::" may have written...

Before you know it that will be a DCC mod, if it isn't already!

Reply to
James Christie

The sliding vents on the steam cab roofs are much easier to show off!

Seen First Class Trains diesel exhaust smoke kit?

Reply to
MartinS

They are a mixed blessing. When Bachmann introduced see through ventilators with fans they looked good when standing still but appear to be 'jammed' when moving. The Hornby fans look good when moving but still appear jammed when the loco is stationary. I would rather have independently switched fans.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

You can use them to insert a driver figure. If they weren't sprung you wouldn't be able to close them again.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Exactly my thoughts when the operating mail coach first appeared.

:-)

Then there was the hopper system, the firing rocket, the searchlight car, locos "with smoke!"...

Won't be long before the loos flush.

Reply to
Brian Watson

A false bulkhead prevents any sort of access to the cab proper though.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

You could if either of the two cab door windows were 'wound down' a bit :)

Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs

At that point it will be modern stock only for me, OK it will mean emptying the tanks but at least I won't get hit in the eye whilst base-board side !....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"Fil Downs" wrote

The driver moves on the real thing but .................

Now I've no real opinion on loco lighting. I don't mind it if it's there, but I don't particularly want to pay extra for it, and I suppose the same goes for opening doors and revolving fans.

The latter especially strikes me as pointless - on my Hornby class 50 the fan stops when the loco is not moving and that's the only time you're likely to be able to see it. In any event the fan grill on 50035 is so crude and heavy that it's almost impossible to see the bl##dy thing anyway.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

...and the giraffe wagon! Please don't forget the giraffe wagon.

Reply to
David Jackson

searchlight car,

Nor the helicopter-launching wagon and the kind-of-spaceship-on-wheels driven by a propellor.

Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

The message from "Andy Kirkham" contains these words:

Good old Tri-ang! (FSVO good )

Reply to
David Jackson

Not on Virgin trains :-(

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Gimmics: -

Smoke, sound, traction tyres.

Nice to have: -

Opening doors, opening windows, opening cab roof ventiltors.

Must haves: -

On diesels and electrics, constant intensity working headlights.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Don't forget the opening smokebox door on that Southern thingy: M7 was it? Years ahead of its time.

Reply to
Tommy

The message from Tommy contains these words:

Was that classed as a design feature or a design flaw? I never did work it out. But then I was a Meccano/Hornby-Dublo fanatic, so Tri-ang only made toys and dolls...

"Duchess of Atholl Rules OK!"

Reply to
David Jackson