Peco 00 gauge sleeper spacing

I read it in a book somewhere, I think a CJFreezer tome. It seemed authoritative at the time. (196... :-)

"Continental Europe" is a big place, with many different track standards and I would hesitate to pick any one track configuration that would represent the total. Flat bottomed rail might be one commonality over most of Europe - regularly spaced sleepers another, but that's about it!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Could you narrow that down to a specific date, railway, track loading, rail weight, sleeper size, rail fixing, ballast type .... No, I still won't have a definitive answer but the exercise could be interesting.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Easy. Seven feet centres and only two of them for early GW.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Dave banged on his/her/it's keyboard in uk.rec.models.rail and came up with this:

Reply to
Trespasser

John Turner wrote: [...]

That's 'cuz they're honkin' big chunks of wood, is why.

:-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

And the timbers can be wider than 12" if the angularity of the chairs on the timber is such that the bolt holes would be too close to the edges - 14" is usually the next size up.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote

Ever tried lifting a sleeper? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Never needed to. Usually a little nudge made her move.

-- Steve :o)

Reply to
Steve

I have, they're about 200 lbs each when dry; but around here there are still a very few old "tie-hackers", gentlemen who used a broad-axe to hew the sleepers out of the log. I know some of them who used to carry a "switch tie" (a point sleeper) over each shoulder to load on the railway flat car! And that would be green wood, ie. still wet off the stump. Gotta respect those old fellas! Mike in north central British Columbia, Canada

Reply to
mcgray

wrote

LOL - when younger I used to struggle with a 56lb sack of coal! :-(

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Life expectancy was probably only about 23!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Now you struggle with a 6lb bag of coal?

=8^D

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

No, we use gas or electric these days! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Closer to 63, but often with the right big toe missing. Think about it :-) Mike in BC

Reply to
mcgray