Station on a Curve

What sort of minimum radius is recommended if I was to put a station on a curve? I am not thinking in terms of something true to scale but what would look reasonable from the point of view of clearance between train and platform edge. I am assuming the tighter the radius the more clearance is necessary. What could I reasonably get away with?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Rayner

From experience all I can say is that 12 inch radius track is too tight so 24 inch would be tootight for OO. That is assuming you are using standard bogie stock.

Reply to
Mike

Depends on how realistic you want it to look. Can your passengers jump a

4-6 foot scale gap? It's hard enough getting scale clearance on a straight track. The limiting factor for a platform on the outside of a curve is the overhang of the loco cylinders (assuming long steam locos).

On curved platforms on the London Underground, a porter used to be employed to shout "Moina gep"; now they have an automated announcement enunciating "Mind the gap." At some tightly-curved platforms on the New York subway, they have little bridges that trundle out when the train stops. The departing train contacts rubber rollers, pushing the bridges back. (At least that's how it worked last time I was there.)

Reply to
MartinS

Personally, I wouldn't build a platform on anything less than a 3rd radius curve, as has already been said, clearance is a problem. If you look at

will see the curve I have. I have since finished the station and will update pics soon to show you the effect of a station platform. I wish you good luck. Rob

Reply to
Rob

"Kevin Rayner" wrote

The main platform on my branchline layout is curved and is about 6'0" radius. Anything less I found to both look ridiculous and create operational nightmares.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Lewisham station platforms 1 and 2 are on a minimum radius without check rails curve, which is pretty sharp, and the tracks are canted (superelevated) too. It is a mighty long step between the down platform and the train. I once had to make it when on crutches, and I can tell you it's no joke.

Reply to
John Sullivan

I always thought the London Underground must be an extension of the Labyrinth of Minos, and this was confirmed when I realised that they shout the warning "Minotaurs!" as the train leaves the station...

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?