sundeala board

Hi people I live near Andover and would like to knoe if I can purchase sundeala board in this area thanks

Reply to
whatarascal

In message , whatarascal writes

What do you want that stuff for?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Makes quite good notice boards, to which you can pin instructions and reminders.

Things such as "don't be stupid and try to use Sundela Board for a model railway baseboard".

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Have you tried the Model Railway shop in Chandlers Ford. I think they used to do it Mainly Trains 'n Planes phone 023 8025 3058 Address 6 Ashdown Way, Hiltingbury, Chandlers Ford.

Used to live in the Test Valley myself until I saw the light, now living in Powys can afford something better than Sundeala. Just received my order from White Rose Modelworks in Bedale for 3 baseboards made to order. Would recommend them to anyway. The old fashioned service you used to get!

John

Reply to
John Firth

A bit of a journey - Hendford Halt in Yeovil.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Cyril Freezer used to swear by the stuff; infact I think it was him who suggested its use for baseboards.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Stevenson

Paul,

I think that might have been forced on him by the products of his employer - Peco spiked track kits. You needed something like Sundeala to allow you to press the spikes in easily. Before Streamline appeared on the scene, Peco's track products were all kit or scratchbuilt (Individualay) where a soft base was a necessity. My first hand built track was TT3 spiked track with fibre track bases and all-in-one plastic crossing/check rail mouldings - laid on Celotex insulation board since I couldn't get Sundeala locally. I think I remember that Celotex was worse than Sundeala. :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

That's possible.

The trouble with CJF's ideas for baseboards, is that Sundeala is an insulation board and soft to they need more framing to support it. The result is heavy.

Americans have something similar called Homasote, but they use it differently.

Remember that American track is spiked.

A typical 4x2 board won't have cross members but will have a plywood top. Or even rigid blue foam. Homasote strips with beveled edges, looking like shouldered ballast, are glued to the baseboard. Hand laid track has spikes pushed into this.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Any good?

Keith Willcocks