Support your local model shop?

"IanClarke" wrote

Don't tar us all with the same brush please, not only do *we* try to price stuff competitively we also test each loco before sale, and consequently avoid a number of duff models getting on to the market.

And yes, we're just a local models shop, with a fraction of the turnover of companies like Hatton's, but our business is growing at a rate of knots.

And why do you think your local model shop probably doesn't stock stuff like this? My guess is because they don't have enough turnover and consequently profit. Why - because people like you don't support them in the first place.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Ouch! A while ago I was after the Hornby Class 50 "Ark Royal", at a time when it seemed to be totally unavailable. One local shop said they sell as soon as they arrive. Anyway, on my way home I happened to glance in the window of a local "general" model shop - and there was "Ark Royal". The best bit? The price was barely £2 more than it would have cost to buy from a certain emporium in Liverpool. I had to dash home to get my cheque book, and it was duly bought. (No debit cards, and the "model railway man" is only there on Saturdays!)

Same applies to me, but now in P4. I actually buy very little RTR, and what I do is often second-hand because I'm going to modify it. By far the bulk of my model railway spend is mail order or on-line order simply because local shops don't or won't stock it. Mind you, Mainly Trains is sort of in the same county as me, so perhaps that counts as local!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Yo

It pays to shop around. If it was 32-503, Class 5MT BR E/Crest 73030 BR1 Tender then you can get one for £46.33 @

Half the price of your local, makes you wonder eh?!?!?

All the best

Fling

Reply to
Flingel Bunt

I don't think I did..did I?. I was just quoting one specific instance.

*we* try to price

Great..,I sincerely hope you continue to do well but as a consumer I'll continue to seek out the best deal I can..if that proves to be

53A Models so be it..I'll gladly do business with you..if not I'll go somewhere else. With the amount of money that "can" be involved with railway modelling I can't afford loyalties.

Trust me John I've tried...many times. But quite honestly its more convenient to shop in the comfort of my own home, online, anytime day or night, using retailers that stock what I want rather than travel the 8 miles (in my case) to my nearest model shop that may or may not. Its not my fault "people like me"(?) have this option and I can hardly be blamed for using it.

Ian

Reply to
IanClarke