Primer recommendation needed

Hi

Just been painting a plastic house kit, but paint coverage on large areas is patchy despite two or three coats of enamel. I wonder if primer would make a difference?

If so, anyone got any suggestions as to what the best primer to use is?

Many thanks

Reply to
Mike K

Probably not, bog standard enema should be perfectly ok(*) on a plastic kit ... just check to make sure that it was mixed thoughourly. An alternative to enamels are acrylic paints ... some folks swear by them, I tend to "mix and match" depending on what's in my paint box at any one time.

(*) Albeit if you're using white - this tends to be a little problematical regardless of paint type.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Did you wash the plastic parts before assembly? The remnants of mold release oils will interfere with paint adhesion.

I use a light overspray of automotive primer from a can, either the gray or the brown, depending on what I want the main colours to be. Doesn't have to be solid cover, just enough to provide tooth. Then I use acrylics (craft paints), _not_ enamels. I'm going to experiment with clear matte sealer as a base coat on the next building - the stuff sold to artists to seal their watercolours and oils, etc.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Never used paint as an enema but have some experience otherwise. The acrylic paints which Wolf recommends are more pigmented than enamels which need more carrier (oil) to give decent wear resistance. So, acrylics will always cover better than enamel. On the other hand if the model will stand gentle heat, cooking in the oven may give a harder surface - heat the oven to minimum setting, usually about 80 deg. centigrade, add touch-dry model and retire until oven is cold. Matt enamels have hard waxes added to matte them which tend to reduce wear resistance. Usual riders about fumes and fires for the Health and Safety police.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Huge stock of enamels bought over the years, so using them up!

Would you believe it's white I am having the problem with!

It's a rendered finish so a patchy finish is not too unrealistic, once I've dried brushed some green mould on it won't be so bad. Looking at the tin, it is Humbrol's new type of enamel, and it *seems* thinner than the old stuff.

Reply to
Mike K

Compared to others I've had reasonable results with "Railmatch" whites, but again 2 to 3 thin coats has been the order of the day. FWIW I have around

6 - 8 different "whites" in my paint box and I'm not entirely happy with any of them. As for Humbrol their *gloss* is another contender in the "not to bad" category ... but how often do you use gloss?

"enema" I'll be living that down for months. :-(

Reply to
Chris Wilson

It is! But hopefully it keeps longer.

Reply to
MartinS

Wolf Kirchmeir offered me a plate of cheese and whispered

I do the same. Just remember that car primer is cellulose and so if you apply it very thickly, the thinners can affect the plastic parts.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I think I will wait until the wife is away for a day or two before using her precious oven for such an experiment! ;-)

But thanks for the advice, all filed for future use.

:-)

Reply to
Mike K