Track plan software

Can anyone recommend some decent free (if possible) software that I could download for planning a brand new N gauge layout?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I've been using xTrkCad for designing my new 00 Layout - but looking back through my previously saved layouts, it looks like I had a dabble in N as well (But I can't remember doing it :D )

It's a US program, but you can use Peco Setrack to design your layout, then replace with the trackage of your choice when it comes to purchasing it and putting it down on the board. The demo version only allows 50 track pieces (apparently, but it seems to only check itself every now and then - certainly I've had around 70 on one of my saved layouts).

Reply to
Stu

There are three types of free software available in the downloads section of the archive site (in me sig). I've used WinRail with great success, but the other two have their supporters too. Try them all and see if any do what you're after.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

Yep, I'd also reccomend WinRail - but I can't work out how to make the set baseboard size appear on the screen so you can't go 'over the edge' (If that makes sense).

Reply to
Stu

I just used the line tool, made it thicker and changed the color.Then I changed the grid to 2'-00" intervals. Worked for me Rob

Reply to
Rob

I use win rail as well, it seems a strange omission not to have a concept of baseboards, in that the track can apparently extend for ever.

I also use the line drawing tool to see where I am but find it a real pain if I accidentally select it and drag it out of position

Reply to
old git

In message , old git writes

What's a baseboard? In many cases it is just sufficient to support the trackwork. It certainly is for my garden layout, where the track apparently does extend for ever :-)

Reply to
John Sullivan

lol

i have to share my garden with she who must be obeyed, rabbit and various cats and a son

Reply to
old git

I'm green........ :-)

Edmund