Turntables

I have the Peco turntable, which is adequate to my needs, but bringing the rails to the bridge is proving not wholly intuitive. The plastic thingies they supply are alright in their way, but appear to require the filing of a slot in the rail foot (not an issue, but is that right?). Also the rails will curve as they lead away, putting sideways force on this part of the assembly. Should I pin through the base and solder in some rail joiners instead? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Make sure the approach track is straight for 3" or more before it joins the t/t. Would be best if you have 6" or more of straight, but space doesn't always allow this. If necessary, shift the approach tracks, move the points at the other end, etc -- it is essential to have a bit of straight track next to the t/t.

Also, bend the flex track to less than the expected radius, and let it spring back to the required radius - that way there will be little or no sideways pressure. However, if it makes you feel better, you can put in a few extra pins, say one every 4-5 sleepers, for a foot or so. They will take up the sideways pressure.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

My guess is that the turntable has been designed for use with both Code 75 & Code 100 track, and as the latter has a deeper rail section it is necessary to reduce the depth to make it compatible.

Just a guess mind.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If you _really_ need a curve away from the turntable edge, either use 'set-track' with a pre-formed curve, or solder te rail-ends of flex-track to a rectangle of printed circuit board (about 25mm x 30mm) and screw that down at the edge of the TT. Don't forget to cut a groove to insulate the two rails.

John,

the Peco TT was around long before Peco code 75 so unless they have altered the moulding ...

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Does it play 78s?

Reply to
MartinS

Greg Procter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz:

I bought one and the little bits of plastic were said to accomodate both code 75 and code 100 rail ... or there may have been both supplied, certainly remember reading something in the blub about both rail sizes.

FWIW though I've taken my TT out off the current layout because I couldn't lay straight approach roads for it, curved roads were far, far to much trouble in operation. Big loco or anything 6 coupled just derailed far to easily. When I next get it out the approach(s) will be straight for *at least* the length of the longest engine it'll service.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Slowly......

Cheers Richard