Turntables - associated structures?

Hi,
I'm just about to install my newly completed Peco turntable and it strikes me that there's no visible mechanism by which the turntable can be rotated.
That is, there's no levers, capstans or steam valves a little 25mm railway worker can pull, turn or twist to make it turn.
In the case of the prototype can anyone tell me how were these things rotated - I think I remember turning a hand capstan on a turntable at Carnforth (many years ago) but I can't be sure, nor can I be sure of it's location in relation to the turntable.
Cheers.
--

All the best,

Chris Wilson
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:12:34 +0100, "Chris Wilson"

Some were electric, hence needing power cables, usually overhead to a gantry on the centre of the table, and a control hut with a tramcar style controller, more often they were vacuum operated with a similar control box, a hose to connect to the loco vac pipe and a vacuum tank. Then there were those with a capstan as you remember, and smaller ones with levers sticking out over the pit rim so they could be pushed round by your railway worker, this type would have a well kept path round the circumference for the pusher to walk on.
Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit <http://www.grovenor.dsl.pipex.com/ Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Prototype note: shed staff were particularly appreciative of drivers who could accurately centre their locos on the turntable disc as they were easier to turn that way. -- Brian "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a person"
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 20:25:40 +0100, "Brian Watson"
Brian,

Wasn't it more like getting the centre of gravity of the locomotive over the centre of the turntable - which is not necessarily the centre of the loco :-)
Jm.

Did I say the centre of the loco?
I don't think I did.
Heh! Heh! Heh!
;-)
-- Brian "Don't be afraid of playing the fool, or of letting go, or of not being dignified, or of not being pretty, or of not being conventional, or of thinking that someone will laugh"
After a fruitless Google search, can anyone supply a URL for a photo showing the Peco OO turntable?
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
"Steve Jones"

Thanks Steve. Better than what I could find.
I did find the Peco site but it's about as useless as mammary development on a bull.
Hardly any photos of their products.
I'm looking at North Americanising the Peco 'table so I have a few questions.
Is the bridge at least 12" long?
What code rail is on the table, and if it's bigger than code 75, is it easy to remove?
Is the motorising kit worth while?
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway

indexing.
mount
the
Useful link: http://www.meccanoshop.co.uk/TT%20KIT%20page.html
Governor of Waldovia www.waldovia.co.uk
"Governor of Waldovia"

Very useful. May be usable to power a God awful working, but good looking, Walther's turntable kit that's been sitting unassembled, because of it's poor reputation, under my benchwork for a couple of years now.
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
"Roger T." wrote:

Treat the turntable kit as materials to build a turntable. Make the bridge from a solid piece of wood and use the plastic parts as detail overlays. The indexing needs to be a below baseboard disk on the turntable shaft and about the same diameter as the bridge. Fit seperate cams working micro switches for each direction. Sure, it's a lot of work but it should pay off in a good operating turntable.
Regards, Greg.P.

looking,
from
about
for
One of the options I was considering.
The Walthers turntable looks really great, it just doesn't rotate worth a dam.
Building a false deck and using the kit for parts is an excellent idea.
I'm not into the automatic indexing, far too complex for my electronically challenged mind and probably beyond my eyesight capabilities as well. Difficult to soldier with a bad eye and another on doesn't work at all. :-)
In whatever track arrangement I settle on, the turntable will be in such a position as to be easily aligned by eye.
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
"Roger T." wrote:

These soldering jokes get cornea all the time!

Hmm, the friction inherent in the rubber band drive will be useful.

"Gregory Procter"

Groan.
[Homer mode]
Mmmmm, rubber. :-)
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
"Gregory Procter"

probably
Might be too small. I need to turn at least HO scale 2-8-2s, perhaps even 4-8-2s depending on which operational plan I go with.

dismantling
Code 100 should be easy enough to strip out.

mount
the
I agree with the.though it may be minimised by using North American benchwork construction techniques Vs the UK solid baseboard method.
I'm not worried about indexing. The Human Eyeball Mark I is quite suitable as the 'table will be towards the front of the benchwork.
The reason I'm interested in the Peco table is the price. From the photos it doesn't look too bad and I gather the motorising kit is reasonable priced as well. North American 'tables start well into the US$200 range, that's about Can$ 260 or more. If anything, I can always replace or redetail the bridge with components I have from North American plastic turntable kits.
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway
"Roger T." wrote:

Aww, saw a bit off the 4-8-2 - they look better that way. ;-)

But can you find a smaller code with a foot to match?

I'm not sure there is any real difference in a loco depot - you need a solid top either way (?)

That saves a major hastle.

Buy some Meccano if you just want a windy-windy drive - make one stage a rubber band drive. On the TT shaft place a disk wheel screwed to the shaft. Next a large pulley wheel for the band drive. Next a small diameter spring. last a collar for the spring to bear on screwed to the shaft. A little bit of experimentation with the spring tension and you have a drive that works by winding the crank but which will cope with the bod who wants to push the TT around by hand.

Much cheaper to make your own - the Peco model has the advatage that it's price is reasonable if that's the size you want.
Regards, Greg.P.
"Gregory Procter"

even
I've now got three of them, really good deal on two "NIB" on the secondhand table. $150 each Vs $210 each (Still a really good price) new at the local pushers.

Sharp chisel blade in the Exacto, remove the clips for the code 100 and then AC code 70 rail in its place. :-)
If I go that route.
-- Cheers Roger T.
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Home of the Great Eastern Railway

I found this one, with Google:
http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/pics/210055.jpg
I have a Heljan HO TT kit (Item 804) I picked up at a swap meet for CDN$25. The pit is 14" diameter, plenty big enough for a Hornby Duchess. It's supposed to be a US prototype, so it might meet your needs better. I assembled it without the central gantry. It comes without track - you install your own and wire it to slip rings underneath; track can overhang the pit if necessary. It can be manually turned with a capstan and a string loop or rubber band under the baseboard. There is a motor drive kit for it, #942-472 for CDN$30 or so - I saw one at Northstar Hobbies in Mississauga.
The FMR kit which uses a few Meccano pieces and a slow-speed motor seems a bit expensive at 20. If you have any old Meccano, you could probably knock one together with an inexpensive motor - I plan to experiment with a Meccano 3V electric motor that came with a set bought about 1980.
The Hornby R070 powered TT (Hattons 42) is more toylike; it has a plastic cabin concealing the motor. Atlas also does one, but it's only 9" diameter; there is an optional motor drive.
--
Martin S.

Roger: here are some URLs for the Heljan 98 foot turntable:
http://www.udisco.com/hobbies/inv/HELJ03.htm (Canadian - $30.20) http://www.bidville.com/listings/details/index_asp.asp?itemnums00968 (above includes photo of box)
Cornerstone has a 90 foot HO turntable for CDN$59.95 http://www.netflash.net/airsupport/tables/Rail.htm
Walthers 1 rpm universal turntable drive US$25.48 ($5 off if ordered by midnight Labour Day) http://www.internettrains.com/internettrains/walturdriv.html
--
Martin S.

: : > Some were electric, hence needing power cables, usually overhead to a : > gantry on the centre of the table, and a control hut with a tramcar : > style controller, more often they were vacuum operated with a similar : > control box, a hose to connect to the loco vac pipe and a vacuum tank. : > Then there were those with a capstan as you remember, and smaller ones : > with levers sticking out over the pit rim so they could be pushed : > round by your railway worker, this type would have a well kept path : > round the circumference for the pusher to walk on. : : Prototype note: shed staff were particularly appreciative of drivers who : could accurately centre their locos on the turntable disc as they were : easier to turn that way. : -- : Brian : "Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a : person" : :
Reminds me of an episode of Thomas .... Gordon on the turntable - etc ..
DW

at
know(s)
I used Altavista, searched for railway turntable using images filter, and clicked on some of the images which came up. I know this is a British practice group, but there is a good pic of a US TT with the centre gantry and a control hut on http://www.danbury.org/drm/history/yard1.html . May of some use?
ZD