Turntables - associated structures?

Treat the turntable kit as materials to build a turntable. Make the bridge from a solid piece of wood and use the plastic parts as detail overlays. The indexing needs to be a below baseboard disk on the turntable shaft and about the same diameter as the bridge. Fit seperate cams working micro switches for each direction. Sure, it's a lot of work but it should pay off in a good operating turntable.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Aww, saw a bit off the 4-8-2 - they look better that way. ;-)

But can you find a smaller code with a foot to match?

I'm not sure there is any real difference in a loco depot - you need a solid top either way (?)

That saves a major hastle.

Buy some Meccano if you just want a windy-windy drive - make one stage a rubber band drive. On the TT shaft place a disk wheel screwed to the shaft. Next a large pulley wheel for the band drive. Next a small diameter spring. last a collar for the spring to bear on screwed to the shaft. A little bit of experimentation with the spring tension and you have a drive that works by winding the crank but which will cope with the bod who wants to push the TT around by hand.

Much cheaper to make your own - the Peco model has the advatage that it's price is reasonable if that's the size you want.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

One of the options I was considering.

The Walthers turntable looks really great, it just doesn't rotate worth a dam.

Building a false deck and using the kit for parts is an excellent idea.

I'm not into the automatic indexing, far too complex for my electronically challenged mind and probably beyond my eyesight capabilities as well. Difficult to soldier with a bad eye and another on doesn't work at all. :-)

In whatever track arrangement I settle on, the turntable will be in such a position as to be easily aligned by eye.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

"Gregory Procter"

I've now got three of them, really good deal on two "NIB" on the secondhand table. $150 each Vs $210 each (Still a really good price) new at the local pushers.

Sharp chisel blade in the Exacto, remove the clips for the code 100 and then AC code 70 rail in its place. :-)

If I go that route.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

These soldering jokes get cornea all the time!

Hmm, the friction inherent in the rubber band drive will be useful.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"Gregory Procter"

Groan.

[Homer mode]

Mmmmm, rubber. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I have seen a photo in "The Rothbury Branch", Jenkins, pub. Oakwood, of that station's turntable being "mandraulically" turned, no control cabin, nothing. It took a J21 so I think it was a 41' table. Mike in BC, Canada

Reply to
Michael Gray