Up - down, shake it all about ...

I've got myself all flustered ... tell me if I've got this right.
Case 1 Mainline --------------- 'Up' -> trains to London
'Down' -> trains from London
Case 2 Branch ------------- 'Up' -> trains to the junction with the main line 'Down' -> trains along the branch from the junction
Case 3 'Mainline' built before there was a connection to London --------------------------------------------------------------- 'Up' -> Trains to BigTown (or town where Rly Co has it's Offices/depots) 'Down' -> Trains from BigTown as above
Which assuming I'm correct above what happens with branches/lines that are essentially circular?
And taking 'case 3' above what happens when BigTown railway finally gets a connection to London and it turns out that the existing 'up' and 'down' lines are pointing the wrong way?
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

< snip >
I think we should leave this for Jerry to answer. Sounds like his sort of thing!
:-)
TOS

I think you're being mean, I actually agreed with him with the other day.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson

sort of

Nah, I think you should astound us all by showing us just how deep your knowledge goes...

'It' seems to have spread to uk.media.tv.misc now :(
--
Rich Mackin (rich-dot-mackin-at-ntlworld-dot-com)
MSN: richmackin-at-hotmail-dot-com

I think all the above come with a dose of "except when it isn't", and/or "it is all mixed up, unless and until there is a rethink to rationalise it"...
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

"Chris Wilson" wrote

If you travelled from Derby to London St Pancras on the Midland Railway you were travelling 'down' to London.
John.

OK, what about the South London Line - both ends at a major terminus? Or any orbital line connecting two similar size towns?
Don't tell me - "up" is the town that is 1 yard closer to Charing Cross!
And which way is the Eastbound train going on the Circle Line?
And what about where two lines intersect, each with a different up direction?
A chap could go mad thinking about this!
Cheers, Steve

Chester and Exeter St.Davids spring to mind. Trains leaving the station in either direction were heading "Up". In the case of Chester, heading West was Up for the GWR (London Paddington, via Shrewsbury and Birmingham), but Down for the LMS (North Wales coast and Holyhead); trains heading East were Down for the LMS/GW Joint Line (Manchester Exchange via Warrington BQ), but Up for the LMS (London Euston via Crewe).
--
Dave,
Frodsham

More often than not.

Usually
There were some of these, the Midland for example thought Derby to be the centre of the universe.

The boss decided.

Sometimes they changed it, sometimes they stayed the same.
Keith
"Chris Wilson" wrote ...

As far as I can see everything you wrote looks right Chris, and its not unknown for a line to change its direction mid way along. For example, the line from Fareham to Southampton was originally two branches, one from Fareham to Netley and one from St Denys to Sholing if I remember correctly. When they eventually met at Netley and became one line you went "Up" from Fareham to Netley and then "Down" to Southampton (with no pun intended if you are a football fan).
What I do remember well about this is standing on a commuter rail station in Northern Virginia one day and idly remarking to a group of railfans that they were about to miss what they were looking for because "it's wrong-roading on the down line - look - over there". (I had applied the same logic that if London was "UP" then so was Washington DC)
Boy did that bring their collective tilt light on and left me having to give a long explanation of the concept of "UP".
Elliott
"Elliott Cowton" wrote...

I will correct myself before someone else does.
You go "down" from Southampton to Netley and then "Up" again from Netley to Fareham and vice versa.
That will teach me to post during a bout of insomnia caused by a cat fight taking place inside the house...
Elliott
On 29 Jan 2006 22:13:30 GMT, Chris Wilson

What you say is correct! It stems from the days when railways (the pricipal ones) gave all of their distances from London to specifically identify any point on their system coupled with the habit of saying "Up" to town meaning London and in the case of us more civilised people who did live at the centre of the universe - Bristol. The circular routes do pose a problem and I suppose that the direction from the main terminus would generate a down train in each direction until it reached the arbitary mid-point, then ,like at the north pole, where every direction is south, all trains become Up trains!
Thanks everyone ... after I discoverd my error with the slip (see seperate post) my brain started turning to cheese making a start on drawing the track plan for my website (not finished/upoaded yet so don't go looking). Just wanted the labels on it to make sense.
Thanks again.
--
All the best,

Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson wrote:

As a matter of interest (see someone else's comment about exceptions), trains in the South Wales valleys go "up" the valley and "down" to Cardiff.
PhilD
-- <><

Case 4 South Wales Valleys -------------------------- 'Up' -> Trains going (generally) uphill, i.e. away from Cardiff/Newport 'Down' -> Trains going (generally) downhill, i.e. towards Cardiff/Newport

--