Valuing My Surplus Stock

As I am going digital I thought it might be worth selling off some surplus stock on the club's second hand stall. What should I be asking for a Lima Cl 40, 31 and 20. All bought new and in good condition. I never buy second hand so I don't have any idea of values.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Look 'em up on eBay to see what people are asking, and (more important) what people are paying.

Reply to
Brian Watson

"Kevin" wrote

You'll be very lucky if you make much more than £20 each for these.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I looked on ebay and I could only find one Cl 40 which after postage was about =A335.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

On that basis I will hang on to them and just not chip them. Based on some of the stupid prices that members of my club pay for stuff of dubious quality off of ebay or at swap meets I was hoping to get more.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Brian Watson

On 25/10/2006 11:36, Kevin said,

The "problem" with eBay, or more specifically buyers, is that a lot of people seem to think that because it's on eBay, whatever the price is it must be a bargain. I view it as a way of getting a wider audience for your sales, or a wider venue when looking for stuff. For model railway stuff, I often just stick a bid in and see what happens as prices can be ridiculously unpredictable, but for some other stuff you can't beat manually sniping ;-)

Some things really do go for silly money, and I've been almost embarrassed at what some of my stuff has sold for. Almost...

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Suggest you get the latest copy (5th Edition) of Pat Hammod's Ramsay's British Model Trains catalogue which has just come out. (Hattons have it). It will give the trends on Lima prices.

I'd suggest the value of much Lima has plummeted due to two reasons:-

  1. The introduction of more accurate models of the prototypes modelled by Lima by Bachmann and Hornby, that not only look better, but run superbly, and

  1. The future introduction of some of the ex Lima models by Hornby which will have better finishes and supposedly better mechanisms.

It may be a case of take what you can ger for them and be grateful some market for them still exists.

Paul Boyd wrote:

Reply to
Hstvee8

In message , Kevin writes

Offer them to your club members at, say £30, and, if they don't sell, put 'em on eBay where you may or may not do well. Quietly stress to your fellow club members that they have several advantages - they can inspect and test the models before purchase, and they'll save postage, not to mention any 'handling and packing' fees :-)

Reply to
Graeme

On 25 Oct 2006 00:01:05 -0700, "Kevin" brought a sputtering torch to the cave wall and scrawled:

HI,

my son has foolishly decided to part with his Hornby set.

Some Usenet groups permit For saale posts - does this onbe?

many thanks.

Roger

Reply to
roger.whinwhistle

It does but since there are only about 50 regular readers don't expect much of a response.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"roger.whinwhistle @tesco.net (Roger)" wrote

Yes, the group charter is undernoted for your reference:-

John.

Charter of uk.rec.models.rail

This is posted automatically on the 12th of every month to the newsgroup.

Courtesy of

uk.rec.models.rail is an unmoderated newsgroup for the discussion of railway model making, including conventional railways, tramways, industrial, narrow-gauge, trams, and monorails. Content should be relevant to the UK, for example:

Modelling prototypes which operated within the UK Modelling UK railway scenery and structures Techniques and tools relevant to UK modellers Modelling prototypes of UK origin (eg prototypes built in the UK exported to other countries) UK model making scales and standards UK model railway clubs and societies UK model railway publications (books and periodicals). UK model manufacturers and suppliers UK prototype issues which affect modelling Collecting models either made in the UK or of UK prototypes.

Discussion is open for all aspects of UK model railways, be they static, electric, clockwork, live-steam, internal combustion, pneumatic. There is no restriction of scale, though perhaps a general maximum should be Gauge 1, G scale and 16mm scale. Reviews of models, kits and accessories are encouraged. Participants are requested to keep to plain ASCII text for postings, and not use MIME or other more elaborate forms.

Advertising Adverts should be clearly marked in the subject line (the words "AD", "For Sale", "Exhibition" or "Commercial" at the start of the subject line are recommended).

Short (less than 20 line) commercial announcements relevant to UK rail model making are permitted (either manufacturers or traders), though extensive advertising lists are not permitted (these should be available by mail, ftp or http to interested readers).

Commercial advertisers should not post adverts more frequently than once per month.

Private for-sale adverts are permitted, though should be short and concise. Discussion/negotiation should be via private email. Announcements by model railway clubs and societies are permitted, though should be concise and relevant. Announcement of model railway shows is permitted. Blatant off-topic or commercial advertising is not permitted.

Binaries Binaries are not permitted on this group, however references to FTP-able material and Web URL's are welcomed.

Reply to
John Turner

Kim,

That might be 50 regular contributors, but the ratio of lurkers to contributors can be very high. I remember that Compuserve used to reckon that about 5% of a forum's membership would contribute, and I believe that the ratio on Usenet might be about the same. So there might be 1000 readers, or even more :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie