Western Colours

I remember the Westerns in maroon and desert sand but not green. How many were green and where were they based. I mainly saw them on the Paddington to Birmingham route but also on occassion visits to Exeter and Paddington. I still can't ever remember seeing a green on.

Reply to
kajr

all the ones built at Crewe were originally in green - find a list and look at the build details that should give you an idea.

Reply to
Uncle Wobbly

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the original colour breakdown for the Westerns was something like:

Desert Sand - D1000 Swindon (Western Enterprise) - later Brunswick Green Golden Ochre - D1015 Swindon (Western Champion) - later Brunswick Green Brunswick Green - D1002 Swindon (Western Explorer) D1003 Swindon (Western Pioneer) D1004 Swindon (Western Crusader) D1035 Crewe (Western Yeoman) D1036 Crewe (Western Emperor) D1037 Crewe (Western Empress) D1038 Crewe (Western Sovereign) Maroon - D1001 Swindon (Western Pathfinder) D1005 to D1029 inclusive Swindon D1030 to D1034 inclusive Crewe D1039 to D1073 inclusive Crewe

I'll now stand back and wait to be shot to pieces.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

I'll check against my old combined volume to see which of these I have actually seen and if any of the ones I saw were green ones.

Reply to
kajr

Indeed, but only whilst wearing my standard issue tin helmet.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

Brunswick Green

Brunswick Green

Ok Clive...you asked for it!!

No, seriously, you are almost correct, except that D1000 was never painted green later. It was painted maroon in Oct 1964 and stayed in this livery until mid-67 when it received BR blue. Similarly, D1015 was never repainted in green either. It was turned out in maroon in Nov 1965 before going blue in Nov 1968.

The reason some folk never saw a green Western was that the livery did not last too long on the locos. D1002 was repainted maroon in May 1965. D1003 maroon in Nov 1965 D1035 maroon Feb 1966 D1038 maroon Jan 1966

Three locos remained in green until they were painted BR blue, and therefore lasted a little longer in their original livery. D1004 blue Feb 1967 D1036 blue Nov 1967 D1037 blue Jan 1967

All this information comes from the superb book on the subject titled Western Liveries, by Adrian N Curtis, which also contains many photos of the locos in their various liveries.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002