When were ECM Compspeed controllers introduced?

Does anybody know when ECM Compspeed controllers were introduced?

There is a thread on rec.models.railroad where Mikes Train House (MTH) are sueing the DCC suppliers for using back EMF control in their modules. They claim they patented back-EMF control in 1980.

I moved to the US in the late 1980s and I remember people using Compspeed then.

Cheers...Chris

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I feel sure they were around in the 80s so if they did they might have a case?

Reply to
Mike

fwiw I have a photocopy of a page from elektor date july 77 which has a diagram of a back emf controller so the concept was common knowledge back then , but I think that patents only deal with implementations of ideas , so they may be claiming a particular implementation ie circuit config ...

I did one on my vic20 a long time ago (dont remember the date :-)

I wont rant about the problems of patents , but they do not encourage innovation IMHO and as for the american patent office , it is said they will patent anything ... now where's that application for water :-)

Cheers,

Steve Houseman

Reply to
steve houseman