Where and when - No 10

Not many images left that I need to identify, so will give it a break after this one.

Ironical that I was photographing this very locomotive shunting some Mk1s at Doncaster on Friday evening. 48151 is preserved and has a mainline ticket - Friday's images are on the 2003 page of my

website; but the 8F is pictured here

during its stint in regular BR service, sometime in the mid 1960s I suspect if the smokebox embellishments are anything to go by. Warning flashes are fixed and the upper lamp bracket has been lowered.

Again I have no idea on location. Can anyone help?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Jim Guthrie" wrote

I'm not so sure. 48151 was allocated as follows:-

1961 41D - Canklow 1963 41E - Staveley (Barrow Hill) 1965 8A - Edge Hill 1967 8E - Northwich

so I suspect we're probably looking at the Merseyside or Cheshire areas.

What are the wagons? Didn't stuff like that work to Bidston or that area?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Somewhere in West of Scotland?

The adornments on the smokebox look a lot like the work of Corkerhill.

JIm.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

See

Roger Jones

Never mind that, what's all this about?

"The Flying Scotsman"

The world's most famous steam locomotive. Built by London and North Eastern Railway in 1923 as the first express passenger locomotive.

Is it the most famous steam locomotive? :-)

Mark Newton.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Arguably. I'd say it's definitely the most widely travelled.

Reply to
MartinS

It is probably the best known "brand" rather than loco. After all the "normals" think of F.S. as a "train", regardless of whether they are refering to the loco or the service.

Reply to
Roger Jones

You're not wrong! It's even been to depot! :-)

Mark Newton,

1 Eveleigh, NSW.
Reply to
Mark Newton

So what had been pulling express passenger trains for the 70 years before that?

Was until Thomas came along! Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Keith Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Has a look of Northwich to me but can't convince myself ... not enough to go on with my limited knowledge of the area ..

Don't think it is Merseyside ..

Certainly not on the Wirral and don;t think it's on Liverpool .

Not Chester either - no 4 track section like this - i.e. plain line with no signals !

There is a photo of 48141 on a Northwich - Shawfield covhop special in

09/65, in Stanier 8F's at work, page 110, passing Wigan

I guess this would go Northwich - Hartford - WCML (North) - Shawfield ??

Reply to
David Skipsey

Well, it depends on the point-of-view of the person asked! Could be:

Stevenson's 'Rocket' (No.1?). Iron Duke. Mallard. Golden Arrow. Britannia. Lord Nelson. Royal Scot. Duchess of Hamilton. Sir Nigel Gresley. King George VI. Blue Peter.

etc. etc. - the list goes on and on!

...and of course the very last Steam Locomotive to be built by BR at Swindon - the Evening Star (92220). One Local Enthusiast named his 'Pub' after it!

Any of the above would be instantly recognised as 'Famous' Steam Trains by many people. I'm totally biased, so I have a different perspective on the matter.

The Flying Scotsman is indeed a 'celebrity' among Trains, but in my eyes the No.1. 'Puffer' most definitely has to be the Green Arrow (BR 60800 / LNER 4771).

See, I told you I was biased! It must be a 'contender' as it gets a mention, and a large photograph in the NRM's own Souvenir Booklet - but there is, surprisingly, NO image of the Flying Scotsman!

I must explain, to those who don't yet know, the reason for my enthusiasm about the Green Arrow...

My Grandfather was one of the regular Crew for many years, since it was first 'fired-up' in fact (1936), up to 1960. He has always been my hero-figure since I can remember. Ever since first seeing it, at about 4 years old, I have loved that train, and now collect everything I can find about it!

Unfortunately he died aged 69, of lung damage (Emphysema) when I was just 13. 'They' said it was caused by Smoking, but 'we' know it was through years of breathing in Coal-Dust, doing a job he loved, despite the hardships. My Grandmother, Mother and Uncles, could verify those facts!

I miss him still, but he lives forever - in my proudly Displayed Collection! I also use the name "Greenarrow" Online, as my Username at Auctions etc.

And to think that it's the last remaining V2-class Engine, out of 184 produced. Someone has a lot to answer for - and the NRM had better look after it, or they will have me to deal with!!

See - I told you I was biased!

David. ;-))

Reply to
David F.

I'd have said "The Rocket" (at least here in the UK). Every fule kno from school about the Rocket. Or they did when I was a nipper.

R.

Reply to
Richard

Worldwide, I'd still go for FS, that is if you discount Thomas.

Reply to
MartinS

Flying Scotsman has been to .au and .us (maybe .ca?), which might help its fame. Rocket has been to Japan (was that a replica?), but I don't know about anywhere else. Of cpurse there might be some loco which the entire population of China or India knows about (Fairy Queen? (?sp)), but no-one anywhere else had heard of, so that would win by sheer numbers!

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

"Arthur Figgis"

Yes, it went to Canada. I saw and photographed it in Montreal.

Here's link that shows 4472 in Ontario.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

"MartinS" <

Tsk, tsk Martin, you should know that NO North American loco has a "cowcatcher", they all have "pilots". :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I know that, Roger, but I was writing for the benefit of Mr. Arthur Figgis and others in the UK, to avoid any confusion.

In my Gage Canadian dictionary, definition no. 7 of "pilot" is "cowcatcher". The detailed definition of the latter is: "a metal apron at the bottom of the front of a locomotive, designed to roll to one side any obstruction on the tracks." So there!

Reply to
MartinS

I believe that 4472 visited Canada during it's North American sojourn - I'm fairly certain I've seen photos of it at Toronto.

The "Rocket" replica also visited Australia. For a while it ran on temporary track in a Sydney park. I was lucky enough to get a play on it one day - heaps of fun!

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Thomas is a big seller in CanUSA since the TV series was adapted as "Shining Time Station" with Ringo Starr and later George Carlin (well- known "adult" stand-up comic). The Fat Controller became Sir Topham Hat.

No doubt the latter increased its fame.

Interesting article I found at:

MartinS

The books and the TV series are big in Japan, where they have themed events, toys and models

Reply to
Arthur Figgis