Where and when - No 5

For me a most evocative shot of the transitional steam to diesel era. One the last classes of steam locos to remain in traffic were the Stanier 8Fs, introduced in 1935 and which remained in traffic until the very end of main line steam in August 1968.

48036 has 8E (Northwich) chalked on its smoke box door; there appears to be signs of overhead electrical warning flashes and the general rundown nature of the depot suggests a date towards the end of steam.

Is the 8F at its home shed, if not where?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

yes, Northwich station is in the background

Dave S

Homepage address:

Dave Sallery

Is that Northwich Station? Looks vaguely familiar, though I could be wrong. Would make sense I guess if the photo is mid-to-late 60s and the loco was homed at Northwich.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

I wouldn't know, John, but it's a lovely shot.

Reply to
MartinS

Where did you get the photos from - did you buy a job lot. I'd certainly like to have some of them in my collection, Neil.

Reply to
Neil Asher

Most evocative indeed.....the end of steam had many a shed-manager in tears. Colin.

Reply to
Colin Meredith

"Neil Asher" wrote

I buy good quality negatives when the opportunity arises, which is all too infrequent.

John.

Reply to
John Turner