Where and when - No 3

The original scan from which this image has been created suggests that the Jubilee 4-6-0 illustrated is 45697 *Achilles*.

The fact that it is in virtually ex-works condition, but still carrying the early BR emblem, along with the mixture of carmine & cream and maroon coaching stock suggests a date of 1957 or 1958, and at this time the Fowler tender fitted Jube was a Carlisle Kingmoor locomotive.

The location totally defeats me, I have no idea whatsoever where the image was made. Do you?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Dunno, but I'd put money on the platform paving being "Lancashire Flagstone" (not much help as the stuff was exported as far as New York although it wasn't often sold "down south") - just look how smooth the "grain" is on the stone.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Well if it was a Kingmoor loco at the time that would indicate possibly somewhere on the Midland/S&C closer to Leeds, the unusual leading coach and the special train number plastered on the guards van would suggest it could be Glasgow holiday special returning north from Blackpool or Morcambe. Could it be Dumfries, Kilmarnock, or Motherwell?

BF

Reply to
Eric DeBurgh

Looks a bit like Wigan North Western - looking north from the main platform. The line curves away in the right direction with the radbridge underneath, but I've no idea if there used to be a signalbox there and I've no idea whether anything else matches...I'm probably way-off.

Reply to
Adrian

The signal box is neither a Midland nor an LNWR design, so I'd suggest it might be on an ex-Lancashire and Yorkshire line.

Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

"John Turner" wrote

A synopsis of responses received to my similar posting on

is appended:

The second coach has two lining bands above the windows, this was LMS practice not BR and the first coach appears freshly painted so could the photo be earlier, about 1951ish?

The paper stickers on the inside of the second coach look like W 136 which suggest this was a special.

45697 was shedded at Blackpool from September 1950 to January 1957 when tit went to Carlisle.
The signal box looks L&Y. I cannot make out the window arrangement. If anyone can Modellers Back Track Feb/March 1995 list many of the large L&Y boxes.

Clive Mortimer

Could it be somewhere in Blackpool? I seem to recall some cooling towers like those in the background thereabouts. Am probably wrong but as Clive says there can't be that many places with such a large LYR box ( got to be

150 levers plus). I have a trackplan on one of the terminals at Blackpool (I think Central - was this the one near the footie ground made into a coach park - if so that is where our coach parked when we went to Blackpool for the day in 1977 on the day Spurs beat Bristol Rovers 9-0 with Colin Lee scoring four and Ian Moores 3......)

Natalie Jones

It is indeed Blackpool Central. Although I can't lay my hands on an identical published view, the August 2001 issue of St**m Days has a large feature on special traffic to Blackpool. There's the standard overall view taken from Blackpool Tower on page 485 that clearly shows the details seen in

- the gas holder, the signal box, the terraced building on the right, even the planked infill visible in the platform.

Steve Jones

Reply to
John Turner

Departing from Blackpool Central. Compare with photos. in the Foxline "Scenes from the past", Vol. 26 Parts 3&4, which covers the Blackpool Central line.

Bevan

Reply to
Bevan Price

Yes, its very early BR, note the BR livery coach has the left hand number that was changed to right hand after a couple of years or so and both it and the coach in LMS livery do not have the M suffix which was added to pre-group coaches when the BR Mk1s were introduced.

Make friends in the hobby. Keith Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Just thinking out loud ... it's not Accrington is it?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Holland's (Pies) :-)

... just outside of Accy in Baxingdon, can't get them down here, bloody southerners don't know what's good for them.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Stanley?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Hulme

Oh the town is called Accrington? I thought it was Stanley :-)

BF

Reply to
Eric DeBurgh

"John Sullivan" wrote

It's got to be the long defunct football league side - Accrington *Stanley*. Crikey, what year DID they go belly up?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Like Kingston upon Hull?

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS"

Bobby?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

In article , John Sullivan writes

Black pudding.

Reply to
Five Cats

i can't think of Accrington without thinking of Stanley.

and i can't think about Accrington Stanley without thinking of the advert for milk where the two little uns are discussing becoming footballers.

mutley

Reply to
mutley

Yes Vocalist and writer of truly obscure lyrics e.g. "High Stars Suns Streams Through Awaken Gentle Mass Touch" or "Nous sommes du soleil". Also of Jon and Vangelis fame.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

"Clive Summerfield" wrote

Any relation to Stanley? ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Accrington?

soleil". Also

Yup... I always had problems reconciling his lyrical style and ethereal voice with his coming from Accrington :-)

Reply to
Steve Moore