Which loco?

Could one of the more informed chaps indicate which version of " City of Leeds" was used in the Hornby set: " Mid-Day Scot "please?

Regards Peter A

Reply to
Sailor

"Sailor" wrote

'The Mid-Day Scot' was a train pack (no track/controller) not a train set?

Catalogue number was R2078 and the loco was in BR maroon livery & numbered

46248. It was a tender drive model produced in 1998 from the 1977 tooling. 2,000 models were allegedly manufactured.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Thanks John, that makes perfect sense now! As usual paid too much but it runs nicely after I replaced the tyres and cleaned it electrically and lubed it up. I had never come across tyres which had perished to a fossil like state! I do so wish that it were easier to find info about the 1990 - 2000 Hornby era.

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor

"Sailor" wrote

It's all available in Ramsey's British Model Trains Catalogue compiled by Pat Hammond and published by Warners Group Publications plc.

It's not 100% accurate, but it is an indispensable guide to UK models, and also give (a somewhat inflated) guide to retail prices.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Sailor" wrote

Checked on eBay and it looks like you've paid GBP46.00 for the loco. I'd suggest that is at the very top-end of what I would consider to be a reasonable price for an unboxed (pre super-detailed) tender-drive 'Duchess' class locos. Had I been selling it in my shop it would probably have been priced in the range GBP35-40.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Spot on as usual! I agree with your pricing and I admit to a soft spot for the tender drives - a good one rates excellent and the rest crap. I have three good ones. When I bid for this PC it was having had data suggesting it to be super-D --- Google throws up several suggestions which in fact were misleading.

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor

Recently my tender-drive A1 Flying Scotsman started making funny noises, even when not moving. On unclipping the tender body (easier then getting at loco drives!), I found that the pinion had come loose from the motor shaft. A quick cleanup of excess oil and a spot of Krazy Glue and it was as good as new - well, almost. The brushes are pretty worn; I have some spares somewhere, but I can't find them.

BTW, I see that at least some of the Railroad range have loco drive.

Reply to
MartinS

Spot on as usual! I agree with your pricing and I admit to a soft spot for the tender drives - a good one rates excellent and the rest crap. I have three good ones. When I bid for this PC it was having had data suggesting it to be super-D --- Google throws up several suggestions which in fact were misleading.

Peter A

Dont have problem with tender drives as such, but the 4F and 2P motors sound bit toy like - anything that can be done to change that - apart from re-motor or put a sound chip in the loco ?

Dont buy a super-detailed loco drive Duchess else youll hate the tender drive. These SD's run as smooth as anything and run with a low growling sound that just oozes power - yep do get quite excited.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

including the 9F, which am still determined to get.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well actually -- I do have a 4F & a 2P (having grown up with them almost in the front yard) and a Princess Royal ( 5 pole super D) which is rather nice and runs very nicely after additional ballast was added. I am quite happy with Leeds as it is a substitute for my first ever 00 Hornby D of Atholl in 1949. I recently bought a C of Bristol in unknown condition which should be a super D as I don't believe that there was a blue tender drive version!

Things tend to be on hold at the moment as having contemplated n gauge (and rejected it) decided to go through the wall into the empty 2/3 rds of the grenier. This rapidly escalated into " what about the 2nd loo?" and " all that for your trains!" So my days pass constructing walls, ceilings, lights, power & plumbing in order to get a little more space (6m x 2.5M). Of course being that much nearer to the roof I can now see the tile lattes that are on their way out and must be fixed. This is known as retirement.

( I ordered the catalogue last evening).

Regards

Peter A

Reply to
Sailor