Art of weathering

Having a go at some coal wagons. Have read the articles and book but it seems to me that they make quite a meal of it. Airbrush subtle layer after layer, Careful streaks of rust or grease. So out came brush, add water to paint. Wap it on, work it round as it dried. Couple of coats of rust, coat of murky brown. Finish off with black wash. Much the same as nature really. Oh must look at photos - yep looks good.

What do others do ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

As you describe mostly, the rust I build up with a patch of lighter colour and a blob of darker (older) in the centre. I also used glue to distress the surface of rusty areas on metal wagons. As you say, look at a picture and try and replicate it. A final wash with dirty thinners tends to blend it all in (at least in N it does).

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

"simon" wrote

I'm told Tim Shackleton (editor of MRJ) can weather a loco (steam or diesel) using an air-brush in a matter of minutes.

Much the same, just make sure any 'dribbles' run down (rather than across) the model.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Have to agree... Much long-winded tripe written on the subject. Best weathering advice I ever received was to use use 'test pot' emulsions...limitless mixing and diluting combinations, with the 'disaster' option of instantly "washable offable"! Cheers Robt P.

Reply to
Robt P

.

He does appear very capable if a bit snooty :-)

But bet it takes him longer to set and clean up with his airbrush than I do with an ordinary brush. Anyway I can do a bit of painting whilst working - makes me feel have achieved something.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I am SO glad that I am colour blind!

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

"simon" wrote

Much better for knowing.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

it was just in one of his editorials where he proudly stated something to the effect that he never reads any of the other modelling magazines as they never had anything he could learn.

Perhaps smug would be a better word.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Just as you do, but prefer acrylic (water based) paints. And consult photos. Try reproducing the rust streaking and paint peeling of a specific wagon some time... ;-)

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I use water based as well - hence add water to dilute. No thank you, theres still far too much I want to do before individual streaks of rust. Saw a train of 30 BR mineral wagons at an model exhibition the other day. Fairly sure they had been airbrushed and although they didnt have the same pattern they didnt look quite right to me - bit twee. Perhaps they were too similar or too even a pattern or it could have been they had the same coal load - probably plastic. Not complaining or criticising as its a personal observation/judgement.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon