Natural weathering of polymers

Hello,

i'd like to know if industrials need "climatic data" (especially solar UV) for their own outdoor exposure weathering tests, or if they only rely on labs.

The aim is that we have all of these data and we would like to promote it to industry

Reply to
tresso.alexis

A combination of both. My employer is owned by Andersen Corporation, as in Andersen Windows. How a top-notch contract R & D shop got acquired by them is a long story for another day. They do a lot of testing at their own sites as well as contract sites such as those of Atlas-MTS

which also happens to be a partner of ours (they weather, we analyze and work with customers to solve their problems). When I was at 3M, it was also a bit of both (company sites as well as contract sites).

I think you have a tough job to sell this data. On a nearly monthly basis, we get clients that are having terrible weather problems and do not have any kind of routine weathering program. They mostly have a cross-your-fingers-and-pray attitude, as weather takes too long, costs too much and requires that a program be kept going for years and years despite constantly changin personnel. Basically, the need for a weathering program is not being recognized, let along the need for quantifiable data as to what actually occured to the weathered sample over the past X years and how that my not be the same as the long-term average.

John Aspen Research, -

"Turning Questions into Answers"

john.spevacek

Thank you for your answer,

i guess that many industrials can't do anything but UV accelerated tests, without having any correlation with natural weathering of their products. And big companies, like Bayer, work with Atlas or some other specialized testing companies. The goal is not to sell raw data, but to provide value-added data, like maps or customized services around these data.

Anyway, thanks you very much, you confirm what i noticed, gathering informations.

If someone else has another point of vue, it would be welcomed

A=2ET. Internship at Centre Energ=E9tique & Proc=E9d=E9s, Sophia Antipolis, Ecole des Mines de Paris

snipped-for-privacy@aspenresearch.com a =E9crit :

Reply to
tresso.alexis

US plastics manufacturers typically weather samples in Florida (hot and humid) and Arizona (hot and dry). The samples are sent to exposure stations run by contractors, who ship the samples back for testing.

Paints have more solar UV exposure than plastics; paint manufacturers may be more interested in your data.

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

Thanks to ernie and you. May you have more details about kinds of climatic data automotive industry uses, i.e. which units do they use, do they need to prove the data that the weathering stations provide, with other data sources like ours, etc.

For now, I think that small business might be more interested in data that we can provide, than big companies, working with great weathering compagnies like Atlas, which allready provide them these data.

Paint and coating industries are certainly more concerned because of the fact that they make products that are supposed to protect materials like steel or wood against weathering.

Anyway, i'm not sure that these activities are as much concerned than

-for example- solar energy systems, by solar data...obviously...but that's interesting to explore a new market segment.

A. Tresso

Rolf Wissmann wrote:

Reply to
alex_ensmp

I was afraid you'd ask for specific information, but it would be too complex to convey via e-mails. I therefore suggest you contact ATLAS and XENON equipment suppliers for details first, since they know those industry requirements and have to modify their equipment accordingly. Most automotive companies do their own weathering tests either in the lab (own or outside) or in real-life outdoor field tests in various climate zones.

Small bus> Thanks to ernie and you. May you have more details about kinds of

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann